Notices

Nervous about first meeting

Old 03-18-2012, 10:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nervous about first meeting

Hi SR Family

I have decided that I'm going to start going to NA meetings for some extra support starting next week. I'm doing well but since I'm going to be off my suboxone soon (still at 2mg a day) I figured it couldn't hurt to have a little extra support. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a recovering oxy addict and I am now in recovery with the help of my doctor.

I am reeeeally nervous about it as I have never been to a meeting. Does anyone have some advice for me? What should I expect? I'm a pretty shy person in a big group. I open up eventually but I do have social anxiety so I'm nervous that I will talk myself out of going just because of my nerves.

Any tips would be great I've heard different opinions regarding the meetings. I would love to hear about everyones first experience at a meeting. Might give me some confidence so I don't chicken out.

Thanks guys!
Olivia
Old 03-19-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I Am Burning ; I Will Rise

Way to go O!!! Good choice. I have never gone to the meetings myself, but I think they're a great idea if available to you. I have social-anxiety and would probably sit quietly the first 3-4 sessions, but from what I hear that's just fine!! You don't have to share, just go for the support, advice and hope. You are awesome and I think you're doing a really great job with your recovery. People always say one step after the other, but I'm starting to think sometimes there are also "little steps" and "broken steps" and "giant steps"....but they all go to the same great place....your clean and happy life!! Go for it!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome!! You've got this I have social anxiety and I got really nervous my first meeting. I was able to get myself to share my first meeting and after I did I felt so relieved.. It was like all the trepidations I was having were lifted from me the instant I finished speaking. People at NA are extremely supportive especially of new comers. After all they are the most important person in the meeting To this day when I leave a meeting I feel so much better afterwards. Tell us how it goes!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Olivia, thats good to hear...you've nothing to be nervous about me dear people are always friendly and supportive you will be welcomed with open arms im sure, if your shy just listen for a while and take it in..theres no pressure on that score..i was quiet at my first meetings for months...never said a word...and then one day i overcame it and felt comfortable and part of the group and then they couldnt shut me up! lol
best wishes ...johnny
Old 03-20-2012, 12:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello poppet, so sorry I havent PM you back yet yr mssg was beautiful and thank you. I dont go to meetings but but everyone the world over says they're the most welcoming and accepting environments, especially for newbies. I get a mental image of a big SR only with coffee amd biscuits. (biscuits cannot be guarenteed)
You'll go down a storm sweet thing. They're gonna love you
Will pm as soon as i can, promise...
Love,
Still xxx
Old 03-20-2012, 03:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
NAIOU

It was hard for me to go to my first NA meeting but I did. It was one of the best things I have ever done in recovery. I would listen to the people in the meeting talking about what was going on in there lives and you know what it sounded like they were talking about me. I related to what they had to say. I liked it so much I went to a meeting everyday for 2 years. NA gave me a new way to live and I did. I did service work in all areas of NA. Today I relay on SR to get me where I need to go. Hope this helps. Good luck on your journey into recovery. Love and Respect. Logo
Old 03-20-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys!!! as always my SR family comes to the rescue to calm all my fears. What would I do without you guys??? *insert giant hugs all around*

I will let everyone know how it goes