My Mom stopped drinking for almost 2 months, now...

Old 03-15-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Mom stopped drinking for almost 2 months, now...

The last time I remember my mom drunk was when I came home on New Years eve. She hasn't gotten drunk since that day, not that I recall. And we've been in relative peace, no arguments, no cursing, no me wanting to rip my hair from my head.

My mother has health problems, notably high blood pressure probably from smoking since she was 14, she's now 55. Three years of being an alcoholic and my father and me arguing with her probably put pressure on her even more.

Now after these 2 months of peace, she comes home yesterday somewhat different than other days. She's quieter, and her voice seems slightly slurred. And all my ambition to do any pleasurable activity or school work goes right out the window. I feel all the crap she's put me through coming back. And now today she comes in with the slowed down voice again, calling her family like she always does when drunk.

Now I feel that she's going into decline because of all this crap. She has a busted blood vessel in her eye, which she says comes from her high blood pressure. Tomorrow she has to go for a second blood test, to which she doesn't know the reason or is hiding it. Then there's my hoarder dad provoking her, causing arguments, my grandmother with her health problems stressing her.

Then there's me who has to lay here not being able to do nothing but yell and question if my mother had a drink. My family pretty much thinks of me as the premier abuser to my mom. They're of no use, my friends are pretty much distant. I've tried counseling with my mom and all she ever does is ramble on and on and cries about how me and my dad don't get along and denies having any drinking problem.

I really don't know what to do, I feel like just getting away and forgetting everything, but I don't have the ability to.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

She may never quit drinking. Your dad may never quit hoarding. They may never stop fighting. You can't make them.

What can you do?

You can help yourself, by attending meetings, finding your own counselor, reading self help books, praying and getting on with your life. If that means you have to leave, leave. You can find a job and put yourself through college yourself, my daughter is doing just that. She is living on her own with friends, working and going to college full time with no finances from me. I did the same thing.

What you can't do is beat your mother. Never. No matter how mad you get. Leave the house and walk around the block. 20 times around the block if you have to. And you can't hurt yourself by abusing substances if any and I don't know if you do, but hopelessness has a way of encouraging abuse.

You mentioned joining the army, but they may not take you until you are emotionally sound so it's your call. It's time to study up and help yourself. There are many different meetings to join, books to read, counselors to help, pastors and church groups often have free counseling too.

It's time to help yourself. Be good to yourself. Take care of yourself.