Gold Mining

Old 03-15-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gold Mining

I was talking to a friend yesterday and I was trying to explain what I get out of Nar-Anon and Al-Anon meetings. I described it as "mining for gold".

There's a wonderful suggestion in those meetings...."take what you need and leave the rest.". During those meetings (and even here on SR) I feel that there is often a lot of digging that occurs as I look for those golden nuggets. But the time and energy of sifting through it all is worth it.... those nuggets are priceless. They provide the emotional and psychological capital I need to fund my recovery.

Gold mining isn't easy. There's work involved. But the payoff is worth it. A gold miner doesn't concern himself (or herself!) with the "dirt" that they have to sift through to find their gold nuggets. They don't complain about the dirt and how it hits them wrong or gets their ire up. Or how they disagree with what color the dirt is that day....they keep mining and rejoice at the sight of gold.

I don't agree with everything that is said in a meeting. I don't embrace everything that anyone says as factual. But I try to keep my eyes (and ears and heart) open so that when a nugget crops up, my attention isn't diverted by bemoaning the amount of "dirt" that I had to sift through to get it.

And I've found nuggets in unlikely places....from newcomers.....from chronic relapsers......from active addicts and addicts in recovery.....as well as from people with a lot of recovery under their belts. I am truly grateful to each of them (each of you) who have show me a little bit of gold.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 03-15-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your post was a gold nugget for me, KE. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Me too, KE.
big hug,
chicory