Notices

Copenhagen

Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Copenhagen

Does anyone have any experience with quiting Dip or chewing tabacco? Just curious as I Dip and smoke so I basically have a constant source of Nicoteen running through my system. I picked it up because for a while in my life I couldn't smoke and didn't want to quit, so now I have both bad habits. oh well if anyone has anything that helped them let please say so.

INH
Old 03-06-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Never dipped into chew but nicotine is nicotine no matter what form. Not sure if chantix works for chew. Try black licorice snaps.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As mndawnmarie mentioned. Nicotine is nicotine, and your body will thank you when it is gone.

Cold Turkey Option with fruit juice to help nicotine withdrawl, and something to chew on. A mouth full of different flavored sunflower seeds, or other works well.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I used Chantix to quit chewing. I loved chewing. I miss it. So glad I quit though. Been over two and a half years. I actually know a few people that used Chantix to quit smoking and chewing. One had chewed for many years and said it was the easiest thing he ever did.

Do yourself a favor...quit them both.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Thanks guys, I have no idea what chantix is but that is what google is for! I will check it out.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Chantix is a prescribed drug that blocks the "this feels good" chemicals in your brain when it comes to nicotine. So when you start cutting back before you quit your is not getting the fix from nicotine.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oops.. meant to say "your brain is not getting the fix". Day 9 for meand think it is getting better. Thanks everyone.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I need help with this too. I've been doing American Snus (Camel, now Skoal) for almost 2 and a half years now. I swore I never would start smoking, and only started Snus because apparently its less carcinogenic then Snuff or fire-cured/fermented tobacco. I tried to quit using the gum numerous times, but now I'm addicted to the Gum and Snus. I just love the feeling of waking up in the morning with the gum or the snus. Its killing my wallet and hiding it is making my life unmanageable!

Haven't drank in almost a month now. I've heard that I maybe shouldn't try to do two things at once... I'd rather keep doing SNUS for a while, then relapse into drinking...
Old 03-22-2012, 12:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi there Runner. I quit drinking and smoking at once- both totally cold turkey and have got through just over a month. Personally, I found it easier to just give up rather than knowing I would have to later give up gum, patches or whatever.
At my worst, I was smoking 50 a day and drinking a quart of spirits 3 times a week. My only advice would be just do it. I still have the odd craving but I just breath deeply and remind myself how good I feel.
You CAN do this. If I can, anybody can.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I've done both (both at the same time, and alternating) and quit. As above, nicotine is nicotine. Quitting one is no different that quitting the other. Just remember that the withdrawal symptoms will generally increase in intensity from day one to day 3, and then start dropping off from there (very slowly). Of course, this is all very dependent on the individual, but there is a scientific basis to the numbers as that's about how long it takes for nicotine to be mostly removed from your system. In my experience (and I've quit cold turkey numerous times) the first week is really bad, with every week past that being a big improvement. For me - after 3 to 4 months - I was done with any physical cravings. But of course that's where the real work starts - since you'll tend to forget everything that sucked about smoking and only remember the chemical relief you thought it gave you.

One note on chewing in particular: I noticed quitting always made my mouth feel aweful. Hard to describe but you likely know what I mean. Almost like you needed something abrasive pressed up against your gums. I found that chewing sunflower seeds really helped with this.