Notices

Still having cravings!?

Old 03-05-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still having cravings!?

Day 4 on Suboxone and today I was having very very strong cravings. I am an oxy addict and was mainly snorting them in the end. This afternoon for a few hours snorting was all I could think about. It was extremely intense. Worse than any cigarette craving I have ever had! (former smoker)

I was under the impression that suboxone would help supress this. Am I wrong here? So far everything I've been told about this "wonder drug" is not very accurate - at least not my experience with it. Maybe I'm taking it wrong....I don't know. I'm very frusterated. grrrr.

I am starting a treatment program but could not get an intake until a week from now so I am on my own for the next week. :/
Old 03-05-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What dose are you taking? If the dose isn't high enough it won't help too much with cravings.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

2-4mgs three times per day. She said she would ideally like me to be on it twice a day but has me taking it three for now because of pain issues and also gave me play with the dose since I just started. I was at first trying to just use 2mg but lately have been taking 4mg to try to help with cravings...
Old 03-05-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I Am Burning ; I Will Rise

@Raven I still think that's a matter of dose, IMO. Two larger doses would probably be helping better with cravings...I can say that I once used to snort morphine sulphate and oxycodone so I know, it can get BAD....I've tried smaller doses through the day, but found longer relief at larger and fewer. It should be helping for pain regardless, though I often ached and hurt painfully in some areas....I believe that's less affliction and more the bodies response to the heavy use of opiates...our muscles and joints get weak and strained...I found better relief through home-discovered PT, stretching and light excercise. Treating pain with Suboxone to me is just replacing one pill with another...still injecting string chemicals. The goal is to get off, so see what your dose is best at and keep it at minimum. It's ok to experience very slight symptoms at times, it will not kill you.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's a little better today. So far....
Old 03-06-2012, 10:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can also say that when I first started Subs I was ok, but I felt sort of "off" for about a week before they felt "right" in my system.....so maybe your body just needs a couple days to adjust to the lack of heavy opiates and new chemical process. I sure you level out and it works for you. Today is Day 11 off Subs for me....been a wild ride but I'm feeling so much better already, I can see it just getting better and better each day. Take care.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That is great! How long were you on them?
Old 03-06-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was taking them for about 2.5-3 years...only because I was too scared and weak to try and detox...so I just continued to maintenance indefinitely, and almost planned to do so for a while...then I realized "I don't want to be dependent on a drug for life, I want to be able to wake up and not need anything to feel good". Prior to Subs I used every Rx opiate I could find for roughly 3-4 years. I wish I stuck to my plan of two weeks on Subs then two week detox...I could've done it, but I didn't even try. In hindsight - and it's always 20/20 - I should have stuck to my guns to break my addiction...not trade one for another......I may not have been eating pills all day, but I was just as addicted to the Subs. Doing pretty damn good now. Started a lot of vitamins, drink vitamin water all day, eating healthier and started exercising - like someone mentioned to me, for a few days you will feel like crap and not want to exercise, but after a few days I've started really feeling good about and and have been pushing to do more and more each time, muscles are such a great kind of sore right now!
Old 03-07-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is very inspirational and I am glad to know your story. I am feeling more and more like I want to try life without anything to see what it is like with my pain. It's not like I cannot go back on it for pain should I find I truly cannot function (like get out of bed etc) without some assistance. What do I have to lose at this point when I am so close!!

I have two parts to my plan. Next Monday I have an intake with an out-patient program that I want to do. I will get their humble opinion once they asses my addiction.

At the three week point, I have a follow up appointment with my pain management doctor. I am going to ask her for a taper program at that point. That being said, I have asked her for taper programs with my opiates before and did not get a whole lot of guidance so if she does not give me one I may decide to try on my own.

At this point the pain IS better. I don't know if it's the sub or if it is truly better. I remember a time when I went off of vics after a couple years of taking them and told hubby that most of what I was taking them for seemed to disappear with them. I used to wake up every night with burning and numb hands (like when your feet fall asleep and you get that prickle feeling) and have to hold them up in the air for them to feel better, several times a night. This has not happened since I've been on the sub and off the "drugs". Were they making me sleep funny? I don't know....But now I almost feel like I have nothing to lose??

Anyhow, thanks for the inspiration!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad to have been able to help a little. I hope your pain is getting better. That does not sound comfortable at all. I am lucky in that I don't actually NEED pain medication - I don't want to take advantage of that anymore. Your doctor should definitely be talking with you if you're actually requesting to taper down, they are their to help you and listen to you, not ignore you. I hope tue best for you. Good luck at all your appointments!