Notices

Where to start?

Old 03-05-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Where to start?

I finally come to realize that I can't keep drinking like I do. I am so tired of of hurting myself and my family. I started drinking to self medicate my feelings of guilt and anxiety. Now that im ready to make a change where do I start? Do I start with my family doc to see about treating the anxiety or by finding a counselor? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Starting with a doctor to stop drinking is a great beginning!

Then pick a recovery program such as AVRT, AA, SMART, SOS, or even LifeRing where you create your own plan, I believe. All of these have their own websites for more information.

I had to stay away from certain people and places in the beginning. For me, I chose AA as I can walk to a meeting. While in AA, I chose a sponsor to guide me through the steps, as this is the program that changed my life (no more anxiety for me) and that gave me a new way of living each day.

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm new to the site too and I cant tell you my experience with anxeity. I went to the doc and she perscribed me prozac for anxeity. It took some getting used to and I wasnt a big fan of being on it, but it helped a ton. The issue is, like you, I was self medicating with beer. I got better, but never really stopped drinking. I slowed down for a while, and ended up not taking my medicine regularly, which probablly led me back to where I am today. Like you, new to a site and looking for help. If you decide to get on medicine, I think the best thing to do is take it as scheduled, cut out drinking, and get help in case you slip off.

Thats kinda why I ended up searching for a message forum this morning.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to both of you...I too was put on some form of prozac for my anxiety...It wasn't for me...I drank with it too...Bad idea...I needed to stop for good...The alcohol was the cause of my anxiety to begin with...I too...Used AA...Worked the program with all I had...And solved the drink problem and anxiety problem together....Today 8 months without a drink and with what little anxiety any human would have....After 35 years of daily drinking...That cost me everything I had and almost killed me...There are ways out of this mess..Look at the programs mentioned above...Find one you like and consult with your doctor...Maybe you need the anxiety medicine...I haven't..I needed to get alcohol out of my life.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I take an antidepressant and have for many years. My depression/anxiety began long before the drinking so I did need to get that part properly diagnosed and treated. The AD doesn't do much for anxiety, but I have found that I can live with it, for the most part. I've made changes in my life to reduce the anxiety. I learned how to say No and feel okay doing it. I learned to take time for myself. Being busy all the time doesn't work for me.

I think that stopping drinking will help your anxiety too. Have you talked to your dr about stopping drinking? We offer lots of support here.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Im going to look into those programs and call my doc today
Old 03-05-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrbird12 View Post
Thanks Im going to look into those programs and call my doc today
That's a real good start to changing your life...
Old 03-05-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

I found that drinking makes guilt and anxiety impossible to cope with. Alcohol has a funny way of tricking you into thinking otherwise though. Find a counselor with experience in substance abuse. Good luck! SR is certainly a great resource for those who seek a life free from substance abuse.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Mrbird

D
Old 03-05-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hello Mrbird - It's great to have you with us. I felt so much relief when I joined SR - knowing I wasn't alone made a huge difference. I didn't have anyone to discuss my problems with - everyone in my life was a social drinker & couldn't understand my addictiion.

I'm another one who used alcohol for anxiety - also self-consciousness & shyness. It backfired terribly on me - and made my original problems so much worse. I hope you'll find comfort and hope by being here.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi MrBird,
I too am fairly new to these forums and have a similar story to yourself. My first step was to visit my doc and then decided to just go ahead and quit without listening to the advice of some people on here that getting help and going to a meeting would be the best course of action. I managed several days of not drinking and although it wasnt easy i felt great come saturday when guess what. I celebrated by going out with friends which ended up with me back drinking. I now have an appointment tomorrow at a place called lifeline in the UK that has small group meetings. ive realised now i cant do it alone and hope you find the help you need also.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by owington View Post
I now have an appointment tomorrow at a place called lifeline in the UK that has small group meetings. ive realised now i cant do it alone and hope you find the help you need also.
I'm happy to hear that owington...I wish you the best. Let us know how that goes...
Old 03-05-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi MrBird -Welcome to SR - I was another one self medicating anxiety with alcohol. Now that I have been sober awhile, I still use my own plan of checking in with doc (health anxiety after years of drinking was a problem), coming to SR, being faithful to higher power and self, exercise, and some AA (although no longer attending meetings) to stay sober. I still experience some anxiety, but I can see it for what it is and manage it quite well.

Glad you are here - Jomey
Old 03-05-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah thanks mate. Should have took your advice to start with. Lesson learned i hope. We're all in this together.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Owington, sometimes lessons are learned the hard way. Just glad you made it back.

Mybird, I have anxiety too and drinking does make it worse. After I stopped drinking and using drugs, I had to get help for my anxiety and depression in an intensive outpatient program. I've learned coping skills, and I'm having some meds changed a little.

We have to do whatever it takes to get better.,
Old 03-05-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome!! I, too, suffer from horrible anxiety. Still dealing with it. I was put on Prozac and I didn't really like it-- tended to make me more depressed and anxious after awhile, but everyone reacts differently to medication. I'm glad you're going to see a doctor. After I went, I felt so much better that my body seems to be ok even after years of abusing it. I'm still trying to find the right group for my own recovery, but I think this is a crucial step. I quick drinking for several months on my own, but ended up drinking again. Some sort of support system is a must I think. Best of luck!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the support. I have an appt on thursday to see about geting something to help with the anxiety. I only had 3 beers yesterday compared to my normal 12-14. First time iv went to bed in years without at least a good buzz. I think I can do this though.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great Mrbird12, glad you've taken that step! I'll caution you against the use of benzodiazepines (certain class of anti-anxiety medications) for long periods of time if they are offered to you. They are very addictive and can make anxiety worse--good for short term, but a lot of people find they are not a good idea long term.

I also suggest therapy if you're open to it--cognitive behavioral therapy has really helped me along with medication and staying communicative with my doctors in dealing with my anxiety and depression. There are therapists who use this modality as well as some free online CBT courses that can help. I used MoodGym online.

Good luck!