Notices

Lessons learned: 7 months then and now

Old 03-02-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lessons learned: 7 months then and now

As I accepted a glass of wine after 7 months clean a while back, I didn't think of myself as relapsing, but rather as progressing into a life of normal, moderate consumption. I had proven my ability to go without alcohol for a prolonged period, and therefore convinced myself that I didn't really have a problem to begin with beyond occasionally drinking too much in the past. I drank two glasses of wine that night and went home sober and convinced that I had reached a milestone. I was now a normal, responsible drinker. Six months later, I was lying in a hospital bed receiving a benzo shot and having my heart monitored after a brutal panic attack. From two glasses of wine that one night, I had progressed to regular late night binging; nights bleeding into stress-filled work days capped off with more drinking to relax. It was a dangerous cycle, with the stress-relieving vice becoming the cause of greater stress, and worse than the one that had led me to stop drinking before. In the hours spent in the hospital, I thought back on my behavior since the relapse. I was grateful that nothing catastrophic had happened, yet embarrassed that the number of close calls had become more frequent. I was on a dangerous ride and needed to get off.

I have now reached the same length of time in recovery, and am completely amazed at the difference in my approach and attitude towards drinking now versus then. I thought I'd share some of those:

Old 7 months - "I won't drink to prove that I don't need to."
Now - "I DON'T drink because it is unhealthy for me to do so."

Old 7 months - "I just got over my skies sometimes, but can control drinking/not drinking by myself."
Now - "I need therapy/a program to assist in helping me to understand why I drank and to help find alternatives."

Old 7 months - "I just need to be strong enough to resist temptation. I am successful if I just don't drink."
Now - "I need to acknowledge that I will have temptations and not dismiss them, but rather seek to understand the underlying triggers and deal with them in another way."

Old 7 months - "I will hide/minimize the fact that I am not drinking from others. I don't want to seem weird or weak."
Now - "I will unapologetically refrain from drinking. I am not alone. Acting in a healthy way is no reason to apologize."

Old 7 months - "I will be able to one day drink responsibly, I just need to prove that to myself."
Now - "Regardless of whether I can ever drink responsibly, I've decided that the risks are too great and the highs too low to justify trying. I don't and will never again drink."

Perhaps the best way to define the difference is in the mentality of a "won't drink" versus a "don't drink". The mental shift to adopting this permanent position is one of strength, not weakness.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((NoHo))) - Awesome post and a big congratulations to you on 7 months!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-02-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That was good to read that. Well done and keep going
Old 03-02-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoHo View Post
Old 7 months - "I just got over my skies sometimes, but can control drinking/not drinking by myself."
Now - "I need therapy/a program to assist in helping me to understand why I drank and to help find alternatives."
What a great share...Where two glasses of wine can take you...It's amazing...I'm curious what you chose to stop for good....You didn't mention it..
Old 03-02-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

NoHo

Thank you for this post! You refocused my thoughts!!! I was thinking about the same recently, what would I do when I get to 6-9 months sober? Try a glass and see what happens, but after reading your post, Im sure I will not try it! Its a forever thing for me.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for your post NoHo - and congratulations on your continued progress

D
Old 03-02-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It has to be a forever thing. Good for you, thanks for sharing!
Old 03-02-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

NoHo,

Fantastic post. You certainly said it how it is .

I think it is really good when people post what they have learnt are experiencing along the way.
I am at 9 months and I think I have reached an impasse that I need to explore further.

Fabulous
CaiHong
Old 03-02-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think the "won't" versus "don't" is an important concept that I totally missed when I tried to quit last summer. it felt like I was fighting off the alcohol instead of just walking away. thanks for that and great job with 7 months.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you NoHo!

Amazing post - felt like you were reading my mind. I can relate to soooo much to all of this.

I'm coming up to a year sober - change your thinking, and you will change your world.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on 7 months! Keep moving forward!!
Old 03-02-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Great insights - thanks for sharing them! Congratulations on your 7 months!