Notices

Help!

Old 02-24-2012, 03:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help!

Help!!! I have no idea how to do this. I have just gone two days without a cigarette and I feel dreadful. Will it get better?
Old 02-24-2012, 03:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It got better for me Maggie - are you using patches or going cold turkey?

I hope you get more replies but this is the down time for the forum (we're international) so please be patient

D
Old 02-24-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maggie, it does get better. The first week was by far and away the hardest for me. I tried to keep something available to keep occupied, like hard candy, gum or even something as simple as a pen to chew on. When the cravings would get really bad a quick walk around the block can help you get over the hump. It's not easy but it is so worth it, hang in there!
Old 02-24-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It really gets better

Hi Maggie,

I quit almost a year ago (21st of March) with the help of a doctor and medication called Champix (over here).
The first week was tough, I think I bit off quite a few peoples noses and then got mad cause they dared to comment on the fact that I was cranky due to quitting ;-))

But those days are behind me, day by day it get's better and before you know it you'll be like...hey haven't thought about a fag for almost a day!
Old 02-25-2012, 01:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your help. It means so much knowing that somebody cares. I am not using patches, gum or anything. It seemed that it would be just something else to give up. I am doing OK for somebody who has just quit 50 a day for 20 years. It has only been a few days but I went to the supermarket this evening and did not consider buying cigarettes. I am still losing consciousness but will be able to get to the doctor in a week or so. Thank you again for your kindness.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Originally Posted by MaggieMay276 View Post
I am still losing consciousness but will be able to get to the doctor in a week or so.
Do I understand you right, or am I reading this wrong? You mean you are passing out or something similar? I have never heard of such a thing from giving up smoking. Well, get to the Dr.

Congrats on your decision to quit, and your success. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow. Thank you for being there. I am on about day 5 and have still not had a cigarette but today I am really struggling. Oddly enough, some of the people who have posted that they have given in have inspired me the most. Instead of being down on myself as usual, I am starting to think that 5 days is an achievement. I do not even try to think that I have given up forever. Just one day at a time. MM
Old 02-25-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

You didn't want to answer me huh?

Congrats on five days. That is great. Keep at it.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was happy to answer you but I came across a message somewhere after I posted saying do not seek or give medical advice. I will get to the doctor but it is quite a distance to travel. I thought perhaps lots of people experience this. I am basically just passing out for an extended period of time and then feeling really 'wooly' afterwards. At this stage, I am more interested in just 'hanging on' to my non-smoking status and hoping to feel better one day. Thank for your help MM
Old 02-25-2012, 10:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
Do I understand you right, or am I reading this wrong? You mean you are passing out or something similar? I have never heard of such a thing from giving up smoking.
Ok. Just was curious about my above question. Just wanted to know if I understood you right when you wrote about losing consciousness. Like...I just wanted to know if that is what you were saying, wasn't asking for or giving medical advice. I just had never heard of someone losing consciousness from quitting smoking, and I wanted to know if that's what you meant and all.

Anyway...again, congrats on your success!
Old 02-26-2012, 01:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ok. Just was curious about my above question. Just wanted to know if I understood you right when you wrote about losing consciousness. Like...I just wanted to know if that is what you were saying, wasn't asking for or giving medical advice. I just had never heard of someone losing consciousness from quitting smoking, and I wanted to know if that's what you meant and all.

Anyway...again, congrats on your success!
Could I ask you something? You joined back in 2010? Does that mean that you have been smoke free since then? I appreciate your 'congratulations on my success' but I don't feel like a success. I feel like someone who has got through a few days with some good bits and some really difficult bits. I cannot imagine going two years. Right now, I am just hoping to get through until tomorrow.

I have worked out why I am being grumpy. It isn't the cravings. It is so that if somebody bites back I can blame them for my 'needing' a cigarette. MM
Old 02-26-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I joined this site for alcohol issues, and have been sober since April of 2010.

I also used to be a tobacco user, but for me it was smokeless (chew) tobacco. I quit that over two and a half years ago, before I quit drinking. In some ways that has been harder than the alcohol, and a lot of other people say the same thing.

I think you should be proud of the five days. Some things will get easier, and then there will be triggers you will have to deal with too.

Don't worry about being grumpy. That is normal. Your body is adjusting. Hang in there. A smoke free life is a better one, and do what you have to do to stay there.

There is a member of SR that quit smoking a few months ago...her name is jamdls. She posts under some Threads in the fitness section of SR. This part of SR isn't that active and I bet if you sent a PM to jamdls she could tell you what worked for her.

Or, maybe things in this section will pick up. Either way...keep us posted.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

OK. You were all right and I was quite wrong. Went to the doctor today and fainting etc has nothing to do with quitting smoking. I have another medical problem which is not going to work out well. I have spent the afternoon in tears and am really tempted to say 'to hell with not smoking- it is the least of my problems'.
However, so far, I haven't. I checked that Sobriety Meter thingy on the home page and I am coming up for half a million 'clean' heartbeats. So, right now, that is the goal. Not much but it might just do.
Thank you to those who encouraged me to get help.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for whatever the problem is, but not smoking is probably a good move regardless....

D
Old 02-27-2012, 04:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sorry Maggie. But smoking will only make things WAY worse. It is so bad for you. I read Never Take Another Puff by Joel Spitzer ( sp)?
Very motivational. Keep going. You're almost through the roughest patch.
Don't go back now!
Old 02-27-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You people really rock. I cannot believe that there are people like you out there who seem to really care. Yesterday was awful but I did not smoke. It is nearly a week - A week made up of 7 'one day at a times'. Let's all have a truly successful day today. Thank you again.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am on Day 3 it is the pits, but I am starting to feel better! It was easier for me to stop drinking-so weird. I am so sorry about your health issue, hugs to you. xoxo
Old 03-03-2012, 11:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Well...the last post was a few days ago. Congrats on the 3 days LadyNoBinge, and I hope you stuck with it.

Maggie...where are ya!?!?!??!?!?
Old 03-05-2012, 12:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well...the last post was a few days ago. Congrats on the 3 days LadyNoBinge, and I hope you stuck with it.

Maggie...where are ya!?!?!??!?!?
Thank you so much for noticing that I was gone. I was sick for a couple of days but the good thing is that I did not use it as an excuse to smoke. Nearly 2 weeks now and going really well.

Congratulations to every single person out there who has quit- whether it has been a year or an hour. We CAN do this.