Notices

Annoyed....to put it nicely

Old 02-23-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Annoyed....to put it nicely

AHHHHH ! How do you deal w/ someone who just doesn't get it ? One of the ladies that I work with continually poked and joked last week, " oh wait a second and "my name" will shake you for a shot" "oh wait for the tequila queen" As the night wore on I was ready to punch her ! I had told her off to the side that I had quit drinking. Did she not hear me or is she trying to annoy me......So as always do to anything that annoys me I ignored her, but I wonder if I should have been more assertive with her and told her to shut the he!! up !
Old 02-23-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Was this in a social situation or a work situation?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Why should you be nice to people who are not being nice?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hmm, I probably would have been more emphatic with her, but, I don't socialize with people I work with.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would try to leave those people behind and look for friends who do not feel the need to rub your nose in anything. and I wouldn't let myself get into a situation like that with people i work with.

isn't that more of a frenemy?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Unfortunately there will always be those who simply won't get it, jjc.
I know she's a workmate but this sounds like out of work hours...do you need to be around this person?

D
Old 02-23-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am a bartender, we were working. I guess I just didn't want to make a scene or embarrass her by snapping at her in front of everyone. Everyone else from my boss to customers has been very supportive. I can take a joke but there are times then she just goes a bit too far.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're the better person...Doing the right thing...Maybe some day she'll get it..Maybe she won't...I wouldn't give her the time of day. You know how you kill somebody like that???...Be nice to them. Good luck on your journey.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

If you've told her and she doesn't get then you may have to deal with her another way. Why not just laugh at her when she talks this way? REALLY laugh hard. REALLY REALLY hard. Make her feel self conscious and she'll stop.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow does this sound familar jjc. I work in the industry as well and get the same kind of heckling on a regular basis. At first it used to bother me. So much in fact that I remember bringing it up at a meeting. Someone there told me that those people see 'something in you that they don't have and it's something that they want'. That statement really helped me understand and appreciate all the work that I've done. Just try think about it that way too. Hope it helps