Notices

Why do leaders qualify themselves?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Why do leaders qualify themselves?

I've searched the internet for answers to this question a number of times, coming away empty on each occasion.

If it was myself I would say, "My name is Bill and I'm an alcoholic. My sobriety date is 26 Feb 2011. I am sponsored and my sponsor is sponsored."

Why does any of that matter beyond "My name is Bill and I'm an alcoholic"?

Why do leaders do that? I think most of them don't know themselves! They probably feel peer pressure to do it because it is what they see everyone else doing. Is it a Narcotics Anonymous tradition that has crossed over to Alcoholics Anonymous?

Finally, can I simply state "My name is Bill and I'm an alcoholic" when the time comes and I find myself leading a meeting?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I have never heard anyone do that in all the AA meetings I have attended, both in San Diego and Central WI.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

most groups have a length of recovery requirement prior to leading a meeting. I am not too sure about the content of your other questions- Are you asking why speakers tend to announce their time in recovery?
i do so because when i am listening to a speaker i kinda like to know the context of the ESH. makes a difference to me if it was a decade vs a week of recovery...

BTW- never had anyone in NA tell me i needed to 'qualify' myself ....?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Mr Natural - I'm a Crumb fan myself
I'm not in AA/NA so I have nothing to add, just wanted to welcome you...

D
Old 02-22-2012, 09:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I read a lot of whining and moaning about 'middle-of-the-road' AA in the 12-Step forum, and this is what prompts this sort of thing. In the area I went to meetings in, it was customary for people to start their speeches with "I have worked the steps, my sobriety date is [date], I have a sponsor, and my sponsor has a sponsor." Frankly, I never cared for it myself, but I can certainly see the logic of doing this in a room full of one-day-at-a-timer's teetering on the edge of relapse. It lets the newcomers know that they are actually 'working the program'.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been to a lot of meetings and have never heard that before.

We do have requirements in many groups that a chair person be sober for 90 days, 6 months, a year, etc. Often a chair person is still working the steps for the first time themselves and chairing is a good part of service work.

We do ask for birthdays for that month opening the meeting:1-12 months, 18mo and every year after.

I don't think making pronouncements the way you describe would fly out here in the PNW. It sounds a bit prideful. But that's just my opinion and another reason each group has its own charter.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been to hundreds of meetings in probably 20 states and I have never heard anyone say their sobriety date nor mention that they are sponsored. The just say "I'm dgillz and I'm an alcoholic".
Old 02-23-2012, 02:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Red face

Thank you everyone! Maybe it is a regional thing. I am from Alexandria, Virginia and haven't been to meetings in other parts of the country as I rarely travel. I work the steps and the only real way anyone would know that is by knowing me. I want to listen to what everyone in the meeting says. No one's share is more or less than another person's. I see the leader in a discussion meeting as someone who goes first, suggests a topic (or not) and is allowed a little more time to share.

I am far more concerned about the quality of my spiritual condition granting me my daily reprieve than what other's think about a date, being sponsored, etc.

Anyway, thank you all! You have allowed me to put this to rest... although I will see what other's continue to post so I can keep learning!

Mr Natural
Old 02-23-2012, 03:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Different areas have differing styles and people fall into them. In Mexican meetings there's a lot of Mary and Jesus references, in Brit meetings you don't begin talking until after you've thanked by name each person who did any big or small service to the meeting and the lead, in Germany you don't identify at all and chuckle no more than once in a meeting, in Spain you'd apologize for being late, in France you'd talk about your wonderfulness, in Denmark you'd be suspicious of any new faces, in Greece you'd miss the meeting you said you'd go to, in Ireland you'd go on about loving everyone there sooo much, in Scotland you'd be concerned about upsetting anyone but would anyway...

And different parts of every US State have their own quirks as well.

More importantly is what they have in common, the differences and quirks among us really matter not at all.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been to meetings in Alexandria, Fredicksburg, Richmond and Lexington and have never heard this.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Mr. Natural..I'm a Fairfax boy myself...Meetings are different in Florida...Get what you can out of any of them..Keep working and keep learning...Sounds like you are on the right path..
Old 02-23-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I've never heard of it either, having only been to meetings in the midwest.

Funny thing is, anyone can say they are working the steps and so on but if they're not, it becomes pretty obvious. And I've run into quite a few who say they're working the steps but are so NOT living them in their daily lives. May be only during that hour long meeting. Drives me nuts ..... so I pray for them.

I didn't choose my sponsor because she told me her qualifications. I choose her because I could relate to her shares and she seemed happy and content.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

We are alcoholics. We like to be unique. Even when people say, "Hi, I'm ___ and I'm a grateful recovering alcoholic" or "I'm a rummy," or "I'm here because I drank too much." It's sometimes the ego getting in the way.

I've heard the qualification you've stated at conventions, when there's over 100 or 1000 people. I would assume it's because the speaker is feeling nervous.....or possibly saying a quick prayer before they begin and avoiding silence.

Have you asked them directly why they've said what they did? they would give you the best answer.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey I've never heard that at meetings before, either. Probably is a regional thing. I would definitely go ahead and introduce yourself how you want. It's your recovery after all!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

I see that rarely in my area and have no opinion about it. It's just a couple sentences someone may or may not say.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Never heard that in Connecticut attending meetings off and on for fourteen years.

I have heard people say, Hi, I'm So and So, and I'm an Alcoholic and an Addict.......or cross addicted....or whatever, my sponsor at the time whispered to me....."you don't get extra points for that".

Of course he smiled and was just kidding.

I guess, basically, whatever floats your boat......

Rex
Old 02-23-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've heard people share that have 30 days of sobriety who have better insight and are focused on a better program than some people with 5 years.

Recovery is an individual program we can make better with the help of others.

I'd say to just say what you feel is appropriate and don't sweat it.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Red face

I've thought about it Sugarbear and concluded it's like the Seinfeld episode where all Manhatten end's up eating their Snickers candy bars off a plate with a knife and fork... all because people copied what someone else was doing without maintaining their integrity.