Notices

Scared to quit, new, need help!

Old 02-16-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared to quit, new, need help!

Hi everybody! Just want to start by saying that I am glad to find this forum and hope that you can help me.
I have been steadily drinking on average 15-20 beers per day for about a year. I have had horrible anxiety for 10 years now and found alcohol helps immensely. Unfortunately I have spiraled out of control.
I am wondering if anyone has a similar experience with the amount and how they quit. Everyday I wake up and say to myself that I will start weaning off, but as we all know its flipping scary and once I feel better from the hangover I keep going.
I am terrified of feeling the withdrawal symptoms and the panic associated with it.
Any suggestions on how to kickstart my sobriety?
Old 02-16-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome GoldenGirl!

We all know how scary it is - you're not alone. The anxiety (plus depression) is part of alcohol withdrawal and just gets worse the longer you drink. I was amazed to find that I was so much calmer and more positive once I got the alcohol out of my system.

You're probably not going to like this suggestion, but with the amount you're drinking, you probably need to see a doctor and get some help with detoxing. Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous and really hard to do without help.

I'm so glad you're here - I spent years lost in my addiction and never thought I'd be able to get sober. The support here really made a difference and I love my life now!
Old 02-16-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I think a lot of use alcohol to self-medicate and then we found out what a mess it makes of our lives. I'm glad you have decided to stop drinking.

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr because detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous. You could consider going to a detox centre if you think that would be helpful for you.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Hi GoldenGirl, welcome. Thanks for this thread. Lately things have been going my way finally and haven't taken the time to think about my sobriety. I too, have suffered "horrible anxiety, fear, and pain from being a druggie/drunk. If alcohol is causing problem then give it up. No matter if you join AA or not the first thing you'll have to do every time you get the urge is say "NO". It was hard for me in the beginning, but now that I am 1 year 8 months+, 5 months off crack, I don't suffer as much. SR is my social life and I like it that way. Post and talk to people, penty who care and are willing to help. Prayin for ya.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

GoldenGirl, if you go to an AA meeting you will find a room full of folks just like you.

Wishing you the best.

Bob
Old 02-16-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FLA

I'm two days sober last binge was booze and cocaine that led me to the er the next day. I've had SEVERE anxiety since I stopped I too use to have anxiety issues prior to drinking and the alcohol does mask it. They have medications you can take to calm and some times take away the anxiety and other withdrawal symptoms you will experience. Would you rather mask your problems with Booze and kill your self or quit drinking and take medicine from the doc to solve your problems? Trust me withdrawls SUCK but so does a slow death. I wish you luck, you'll make the rite descison.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome GoldenGirl. As the others have said, getting medical advice is the best & safest thing. I detoxed on my own & my blood pressure spiked dangerously. Not trying to scare you, just want you to be safe.

I once thought that drinking was calming me down too. In the end, it created more anxiety and drama in my life. The problems didn't get solved with me getting numb & foggy every night. I found out I didn't need it to cope with life - it was actually keeping me from moving forward. I hope you will get some help, and congratulations on your decision. You can do this GoldenGirl. You're not alone, we're here to support you as you get well.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome GoldenGirl!! This is a great place for support. Read and post alot, it will help you immensly. You are not alone in this. Many here have been in your shoes.

You may want to see a doc as others have suggested. Withdrawal can be dangerous with the amount you have been consuming. It's not going to be easy at first, but hang in there it will get better.

You can check out the different programs people use in their sobriety to help them along.

Good luck and God bless.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey GG,

I used to drink to "help" with my anxiety/panic attacks as well. However, my anxiety/panic got soooo bad because of the alcohol, that I could barely leave my home.

I have not drank in 53 days and am feeling so much better! I did go to my doctor to help with my anxiety. I can function like a "normal" person now.

Good luck, you will find this site helpful!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

My main reasons were; Insomnia - Anger - Anxiety
I agree with above that getting help medically would be the best for you, also reading here, a lot. When I finally had enough with the drink all of the great advice flooded back into my forethought and was a great help. I continue to come here (almost) daily to get my fix, of knowledge. I am loving sobriety, it has it's lows, but no where near the lows of being in the cycle of drink.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome GoldenGirl

Put me down as a vote for seeing a Dr too - I know it's scary, but a bad home detox could be even scarier, believe me.

Glad you've joined us

D
Old 02-16-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi Goldengirl,
I fell into the same vicious cycle and ended up being a full-blown alcoholic. Anxiety was my prime motivation to drink too. I was at 15-20 beers daily until I ran out of money and hit rock bottom. I did inpatient rehab and broke the cycle.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome GoldenGirl! Thank you for posting, it is very brave to reach out for help and I commend you for your courage. A medically monitored detox is really the best thing, please don't let fear of days of withdrawal prevent you from enjoying years of sobriety. All i know is that if you are ready to give up alcohol, you are on your way to a wonderful life that you deserve. I struggle with anxiety as well and we both know alcohol is a short term remedy and actually makes the anxiety worse in the long run. Take good care of yourself! xo