Notices

outpatient recovery

Old 02-05-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

outpatient recovery

,Tomorrow is my first day of out patient recovery, it's 3 hours. I'm a little nervous (no alot nervous). What can I expect?
Old 02-05-2012, 09:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sobie-

Every place is different but since I've been through a couple outpatient programs I can share my experience.

They have all started out with a roundtable. Each person talks about what they did that day, highs and lows, and any concerns or issues they are having. Then there's usually a speaker who talks about their experience or a group discussion where you learn more about addiction. Sometimes a video or yoga is included.

It's natural to be nervous but know that everyone in that room has been in your shoes and will most likely be welcoming. Go in with an open mind and do what you feel comfortable doing. Some people generally take a couple of sessions before they really feel comfortable enough to open up. Really, it's time to focus on you, so go with the flow and do what feels right. Let us know how it goes. This might sound weird but I really liked treatment. It was the first time in a long time I really got to focus on me and getting my life in order.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations! You're doing a great thing. I think Jocata is doing outpatient right now as well if I'm not mistaken? I've not done in or out patient anything, but I bet he could ease your worries. Jocata! Where are ya?
Old 02-05-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

What can you expect? I don't know, but we all here at SR are rootin for ya and expect you to stay sober.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Sobie....I've been to both outpatient and inpatient programs. I was nevous with anything that had to do with my alcoholism...Just the mention of it from anybody made me nervous....Because I knew it was true. The thing I learned from both of these programs was I was going to have a lot of work to do when I got out of them. You don't leave a treatment program cured...You leave with a sense that you are not alone and there are ways to get better...But you have to take some action to make that happen. Go into it like you are going to take any other class you want to learn from. Listen...Read...Watch...Study....Share....Ask questions....Take notes...All tools you can use when you are back on your own. This is a good move forward....And that's really all you want to get out of it...How to move forward without alcohol. You'll get over the nerves...You think you are the only one in that room that is nervous?....Not a chance.
Go in with an open mind and fill it with all you can...You have a journey ahead of you....One that can change the way you live. Take all the help you can get on that path and then put it to work. I wish you the best. You can do anything you want.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was interested in knowing also. Should be a good thread to read.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Gone In

I spent 9 months in an outpatient rehab, best decision I ever made. Saved my life.

My advice is do the work, you'll get out what you put in. Do what they suggest, even if you don't want to. It's about picking enough tools that work for you to stay sober.

I'd reccomend attending some community meetings of your choice while you're there so you build up a support system before you get out. Try a few different types until you find one you like.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Sophie! Good luck today and let us all know how it goes, okay?