Notices

New here

Old 02-03-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy New here

Hi everyone. I am unfortunately not new to recovery. I have been drinking for gosh I don't know. When do you start counting. and when do you realize it is a problem? Well to make my introdution short. I am what is labeled as a functioning alcoholic. Two and a half years ago I decided I wanted to change that and went into a two week inpatient program. Drove myself and all because my family and friends kept telling me "You dont have a problem, you take care of your kids, you go to work...." Any of you ever hear that? Well I knew better and did it on my own. I went thru the program. Went to AA meetings afterwards. It was hard but I did ok for a while.
Here my problem. I did what they warned me about in rehab. I met a man and instantly fell in love "Yes in rehab" Nothing happend until about three month later. We called each other and long story short have been together since. We both started drinking last year and it has to say the least been a roller coaster the whole time. I truly do love this man but our relationship is so convoluted in large part due to our drinking. I am at my end of knowing what to do. SO... I am here I need help. WE need help.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to our family - you'll find encouragement and hope here!

I was a so-called functioning alcoholic, too - until I wasn't. I drank for many years & always managed to hide the amounts & how often I was drinking. No one knew - but it was slowly destroying me. In the end I found myself drinking all day, every day, with my life in ruins. That's why they call it a 'progressive disease'.

I'm glad you're questioning your drinking habits & their impact on your life. You'll need a clear head to figure out what path to take. We're here for you!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Why wouldn't you go back to AA ?
Old 02-03-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Hi, sb2010. Welcome to SR.

Sobriety is the most important thing in my life. I love my fiance with all my heart, soul, mind and strength, but my sobriety is more important than my relationship with her. And she just came home from the store and handed me a chocolate donut.

So you're still functioning, so what? It just means you haven't rode the garbage truck all the way to the dump... yet. Keep drinking and you'll likely lose everything. This probably isn't news to you. I "functioned" throughout my drinking too. I'm still an alcoholic, always was, always will be.

Please quit drinking. You know you need to. I needed to too. I did, a long time ago.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome sb

stopping drink when your partner is also your drinking partner is pretty hard to do - but it's not impossible

I'm sure you'll here from people here with experience, but basically you're going to need to focus on whats best for you, be very committed to your own personal recovery, and find a lot of sober support...

coming here is a good start
welcome

D
Old 02-03-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for welcoming me. My biggest problem at the moment is to figure out what to do. I know I need to stop drinking that is one. But my partner is drinking too. I love him and he loves me but two alcoholics in one house? It has been so hard to be on the same page at the same time. It has been such a roller coaster and like so many of us. When there is constant drama it is very hard two have the strentgh to do it while your partner is not and even harder to leave a man i love so much and then stop. I am so stressed over all of this. The reason I am not going to AA anymore is that I moved to be with my partner and believe it or not they have very few meetings where I live like one to two a week and during my work time it sucks. I am making some exuses I know. Because I am an addict but it has been very hard.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It just means you haven't rode the garbage truck all the way to the dump
I have heard some funny ones but this one is the best! LOL

sb, I too have been considered a functioning alcoholic, a closet alcoholic at that. I admire your resolve and determination to get help despite the opinions of others that you were fine. That makes me think you have the strength to do what needs to be done to help yourself. Welcome and keep posting!
Old 02-03-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome sb!

I can see where you'd feel a lot of stress over this, but it might actually be easier to deal with if you're sober (less of the anxiety/depression, clearer thinking, etc.). Have you talked to him about it?

I guess I would just say take things one at a time, first things first. Get some sober time before you make any big choices. You may have to detach from the relationship temporarily, but your boyfriend should be able to understand why and (hopefully) be supportive. It might even inspire him.....(?)

Just my thoughts....... I'm glad you're here - welcome to our community!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wanted to let everyone know, that my boyfriend and I had a long and honest talk and finally we are on the same page. We both decided to stop (again). Its been 4 days.
One day at a time. So far so good it has not been to bad. I have my moments especially right when I get of work, once I get past that it's OK. Its kind of weird because in a way at least we can talk to each other and understand since we are both going thru it again.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Keep remembering what it was like when you two met while sober. Regain that direction and keep moving forward. Best of luck to both of you.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Right on SB =) Your doing great, glad things are coming together for you