Notices

Lot of Growth Still tp Do, Always

Old 02-03-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lot of Growth Still tp Do, Always

In a meeting today and mentioned Buddhism and someone accused me of new age. Dang 500 BC but then I realized only I can cause my anger and resentment, no one else and peace really settled in and I actually felt laughter, what a change. I think control my ego, control my addiction. It gets better

“You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.”
Old 02-03-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Ain't nothing "new age" about Buddhism.

Glad to hear you were able to laugh it off. It's difficult sometimes, but we can only control how we react to those around us.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Pro tip: Don't mention what your spiritual beliefs are in a meeting unless they're christian.

I'm just kidding, sort of. One time, in the context of a recovery specific share i got shuush'd and 'we don't talk religion'd' when i mentioned something about my buddhist practice. Yet i hear 'i'd like to thank my higher power, who just so happens to be the lord jesus christ' at least six times a week. lol

no big thing to me though, just mildly humorous. most people don't know anything about buddhism. i'm not surprised one thought it was some new age concept.

we're all in the rooms to share recovery. i'm cool with whatever works for someone else.

just curious, what exactly did you say that illicited that response?
Old 02-03-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yea I tend to open my mouth and insert foot just not booze
Old 02-03-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yes that can happen- on the other hand i go to 3 meetings around my mountain village - [2 are NA ] in which the "others" outnumber the christians : Buddhists, Jews, Amerindian, Hindus and Agnostics. [and everybody here knows i will quote the Sufi, Rumi at the drop of a hat] Makes for GREAT HP topics and sure adds a lot of seasoning to the stew....

I also remind folk that had I heard anything referencing christianity at my first meeting i would have walked out and never returned. Nowadays i am gentler on the Jesus issue - but will always remain adamant that there is NO One [exclusive] Way- and No One HP in AA or NA .

might be why our meeting keeps growing- only your HP knows for sure LOL!

BTW- have you read Mel Ash -'Zen and Recovery'? powerful and extremely respectful of our traditions...
Old 02-03-2012, 10:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

I'm reading zen and recovery right now. pretty good book. also check out one breath at a time and dharma God by kevin griffin and the 12 step Buddhist by Darren Littlejohn if you're interested. excellent reads.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

kevin griffins second book is actually called a burning desire-dharma God & the path of recovery