Naltrexone

Old 02-02-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Naltrexone

Hello. Looking for some information. My husband started naltrexone about 12 days ago and has been taking it each night and has not drank a sip of alcohol. He is man that would drink bottleS of vodka a day and could not keep a job or just even life any kind of quality of life. The naltrexone seemed to be helping him and he seemed very commited. Well last night we got home late and "he forgot" to take his pill. Today he drank.... and he is drunk and he just now took his naltrexone as he said he does not kow why he didn't want to take it last night.

My question for anyone with naltrexone experience is: since he took it while he has alcohol in his system will it still work? This is a question we both have. It seems to do the trick since like I said he has never had more then 3 days of sobriety and this time with the help of naltrexone he has had 12 days. I am hopping he does not let today get him down as he suffers from depression as well and I hope he starts back on his road..

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you all so much I am happy to be a part of a community that is also looking to help a loved one or help them selves through such a horrible disease
Old 02-02-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

not sure what you mean, by what am i doing for me? I wake up everyday, i love my friends, my family, my job, my husband. Life is never easy for anyone. I understand that. I do take care of my self and I usually detach when he is drinking and go about my life and do the things I want to do and need to do for myself. He is never violent or ill mannered towards me so that makes it harder to want to leave. We have had many many good years, and am just not ready to give up. I believe in my marriage vows and this to is a disease or so the dr has told us. Recovery is new to him and I am sure he is scared as am i of what it will bring and what we will feel. We can only take it one day at a time, he respects my decision to detach when he drinks and does not put me in any emotional or physical danger. The only person he is hurting is himself. I think he may be on the road to understanding this. At least I hope he is. I understand it is important for the family of active alcoholics to take care of themselves first. I do the best I can to make sure I get what i need out of my life and quality of life. He has always stood by me when ever i needed him, so I just can't abandon him yet. To many good years to just give up so fast.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thewaywewere,

May I ask how many years? Do you have any children?

I am in recovery, I feel he did not take the pill because he wanted to drink. Simple.
I am sure (as I was drinking) that he has another reason or he doesn't know, but please think about that. If it was working, why stop taking it?

Have you been to AlAnon? You can do that for yourself.
I am confused about how you detach when he is drinking.

Beth