Notices

Driving Sober

Old 02-02-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Driving Sober

Is really good. I can see the road not double. Took my dog for a ride and passed a trooper. Panicked but i was ok. Put noone in harms way except for my bad eyesight. Sobriety does rock
Old 02-02-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Fitz))) - My heart still does a little skip when I see a cop car, but usually because I tend to have a lead foot It did take a while before I didn't REALLY panic, then remembered I had no reason to - clean and sober/nothing illegal in my car..so then I'd start breathing again.

Sobriety DOES rock!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-02-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

you're not doing a Mr Magoo are you Fitz?
do you have glasses?

D
Old 02-02-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My eyesight is like Mr Magoo, a great character
Old 02-02-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

If it's that bad (mine is) I hope you have an eye test lined up, my friend

D
Old 02-02-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can't see the chart
Old 02-02-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

The only time I've been stopped for speeding during the three-hour drive between home and my parents' house was when I was about six months sober.

Talk about gratitude...had the event occured seven or more months earlier, there would've been beer on my breath and a freshly emptied sixer in the back seat.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I
Old 02-02-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Coming up on almost a month (27 days) for me and one of my favorite feelings is waking up on time and driving to work with a clear head in the morning. I used to drive to work still drunk from the night before - a lot. It was horrible having to say to myself "stay in the lane" "green light, you're okay to go through" "red light...better stop"

It took so much effort for just a 10 minute drive. I was always scared of getting pulled over. How the heck do you explain being charged for a DUI at 7am on the way to work?! Anyway, MycoolFitz, driving sober is an awesome gift, I agree.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
Is really good. I can see the road not double. Took my dog for a ride and passed a trooper. Panicked but i was ok. Put noone in harms way except for my bad eyesight. Sobriety does rock
Oh my dog loves to go for rides! Kudos to you! You know what I have found out too? If you take the dog with you when you run errands, you won't have the urge to stop at the liquor store because the dog is there to remind you why!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

THIS post is absolutely Terrifying to me, and I am not yet completely sober. You drove drunk on a regular basis and you knew you did it? And you still continued to do it? I would be beside myself, and terrified to just move, never mind drink again. I am obsessive about not Driving even after ONE damn drink, and I am an alcoholic. I lost my 30 year old brother to a careless drunk one night. It is SO preventable, even if you know you're a drunk, there is such thing as a designated driver, or just getting rid of your keys, call a cab!
After the FIRST episode of driving drunk (You KNOW it happened, right?), how can you ever let it happen again? There are moments of clarity, even being a drunk. It's just unacceptable.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss, but unfortunately most of us weren't model alcoholics like yourself.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Yeah, you know you're doing it but you're so drunk you don't care at the time.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

No such thing as a model alcoholic, but I think people with any common sense (already knowing what happens when they drink..) just take precaution BEFORE they pick up. Before... I'm not talking about after you drink, I know all about that. BEFORE is when you need to plan. Anybody will tell you that, there's so many options these days to get home safe. I just could not drink if I knew I could grab my keys and drive in a blackout (or drunk).
I once threw my cell phone into the woods before I picked up that first drink, because I was so afraid of calling a certain person. I think if I had my car keys and was alone and wanted to drink, I would throw them in a lake, I just think driving drunk is so preventable, and preventing it would save so many innocent lives..
Old 02-06-2012, 03:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Preventable, perhaps. But if came down to something as simple as common sense as you claim, most if not all of us wouldn't be here in the first place.
Furthermore, I know that in my own situation driving while impaired is pretty low on the totem pole of stupidity.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't think anyone is making light of drink driving. the problem is whilst we may have good intentions BEFORE drinking these diminish after drinking. Things just don't seem as bad. I'm not making excuses just stating what it is like