Notices

Am I one of a kind?

Old 02-02-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I one of a kind?

Hi all,

I hope all is okay.

I have been drinking heavily for a yew, mainly brought on by my social anxiety. Started drinking on medications and loved the effect, had black outs but didn't drink every day.Then, my girlfriend split up with me and i felt lost, then lost my job. Drank heavily every day for 5/6 weeks can't remember how much; mosty whisky and souther comfort, probably about half a bottle or maybe more per day. Sober now for two months.

I feel like I have drank the most here and i'm scared. Anyone have any stories??
Old 02-02-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't worry at all about comparing yourself 211648 - you'll find people who drank less than you, you'll also find people who drank more than you and for a lot longer.

Each of us has our own journey, but you'll find a lot of points of commonality here

I started drinking for anxiety too - I also lost gfs and jobs and ramped up my drinking over that.

Look around at the many ppl here who've quit and who are doing ok - mentally physically and emotionally - that can be you too

Like I said before...if you're scared at what damage you fear you may have done, see a Dr. It's the best way to set your mind at rest.

D
Old 02-02-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

HI there, thanks for the responses.

The cravings for alcohol have disappeared now, mainly because I am sooo scared of the mental and physical effects of it. I also realised that I wanted more from life.

I do though suffer badly from depression and I think its mixing my mind up badly and changing my perception of things, but seeing a dr on Monday.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for seeing a dr. I was also a person who had depression and began drinking, and it was a huge mistake. It made me feel so much worse. I'm glad that you're feeling better.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hey 211648 - Well, I for one definitely drank more. I drank for the same reasons, & it backfired terribly. It sounds like you're doing very well & are motivated. Congratulations on two months - I know how hard it is in the beginning, but you're doing it!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You will find a lot of compassion and understanding here. Please keep reading and posting! Take care.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Heathen

We're all one of a kind.. but we have a lot in common.

None of us are too special, too tragic, too whatever to recover.

Stick around.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Everyone seems very nice/understanding on this board. xx
Old 02-02-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

HI 211...like you, I turned to alcohol BIG time after a break up...I ended up with some stomach issues (curable once I stopped drinking) and it reallly worsened my anxiety disorder. I am so glad to hear you are seeing your Dr..that was my first step in really getting back on track. And like Dee said, we all have our journey but you can and will improve if you stay off alcohol. Hope you are feeling better
Old 02-02-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks quitforme79, did you personally have any brain issues, such as memory, concentration and did they return?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks quitforme79, did you personally have any brain issues, such as memory, concentration and did they return?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey 211. I still have the brain fog. Pretty common when you stop after drinking heavily. Each individual is different, but it will usually clear up after awhile. If you start drinking again and stop, it's likely to get worse each time. I found that out for myself.

Keep on going.

God bless.