Notices

Confused reading the big book

Old 01-28-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Confused reading the big book

I have gone to AA meetings and find them helpful, but am not finding the book relevent to my life at all. My pill usage and weekend drinking never had dire consequences. I don't owe money, have marital issues, legal issues, etc. The book seems to be written for the hopeless male alcoholic, and that is not me. I am a woman with a minor problem stopped in the early stages. It seems almost harder to fix when at this stage bc my life is not unmanagable. Acording to the book I probably am not even an alcoholic. Words of wisdom please?
Old 01-28-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have read the Big Book, but I've read a lot of other books on alcoholism/spirituality also, which were very relevant to me. I found "Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp to be pivotal in convincing me that I could succeed in my recovery. It's a memoir of a young, high-functioning woman, written with emotional honesty.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aeo1313 View Post
I have gone to AA meetings and find them helpful, but am not finding the book relevent to my life at all. My pill usage and weekend drinking never had dire consequences. I don't owe money, have marital issues, legal issues, etc. The book seems to be written for the hopeless male alcoholic, and that is not me. I am a woman with a minor problem stopped in the early stages. It seems almost harder to fix when at this stage bc my life is not unmanagable. Acording to the book I probably am not even an alcoholic. Words of wisdom please?
You are me!! Although I am grateful to others with their horror stories, that was not me...

Have you tried the Basic Text (blue book) of NA? My lovely sponsor gave it to me and I found it more relevant.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

'The book seems to be written for the hopeless male alcoholic, and that is not me.'

No one is going to be able to convince you that you are in reality a hopeless male alcoholic.

Nicely done.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Are you working with a sponsor? Someone who has studied this textbook? I couldn't relate until years later, after my life changed due to drinking.

try some other books or try a meeting. maybe listen to speakers online.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I couldn't relate to some of the things that happened to those in the Big Book. But I could relate to how they FELT after drinking. The guilt, shame, remorse, all the emotional garbage that went with my drinking and drugging.

Many people don't get into any financial, legal, physical, marital problems. I had many of these issues, but I didn't lose everything. But I did lose everything spiritually and emotionally. For me that was just as bad as losing anything else.

Hope that made sense.

God bless.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I wouldn't suggest for you to continue in harmful behavior, however if you haven't had any negative consequences because of your addictions then why do you want to quit?
Old 01-28-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by eJoshua View Post
I wouldn't suggest for you to continue in harmful behavior, however if you haven't had any negative consequences because of your addictions then why do you want to quit?
WOW! I never thought of it this way...I guess it's just my negatives are so minor compared to others' negatives. I ran out of an rx and was stealing pills from my family (negative) getting drunk at parties and hitting on peoples' husbands (negative) getting drunk and passing out at Thanksgivning (negative) pills were interfering with my depression and not letting my prozac work (negative)

These all seem so minor, but I guess they were negative consequences and I shouldn't compare myself to others' anyway- we all have different lives and issues
Old 01-28-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

One of the fundamental tenets of AA is the concept "hitting bottom." AA does dictate what that bottom is, it is completely up to each of us. Some people have very high bottoms and some never seem to feel they've gone low enough.

AA is a program of action and work and from what I've seen, rarely works for those that don't feel they've lost enough or had enough of the negative consequences yet.

Good luck.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by StPeteGrad View Post
One of the fundamental tenets of AA is the concept "hitting bottom." AA does dictate what that bottom is, it is completely up to each of us. Some people have very high bottoms and some never seem to feel they've gone low enough.

AA is a program of action and work and from what I've seen, rarely works for those that don't feel they've lost enough or had enough of the negative consequences yet.

Good luck.
So where do middle of the road people go for help then? I don't want to reach as far bottom as I can with this. When I was 19 I was suffering from an eating disorder and my bulimia made my life completely unmanagable and I put myself in treatment and it worked wonders. This time I don't want to hit bottom...this time I have a family and I need to catch myself now.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

aeo1313,
Look at the first paragraph on page 44. Does that describe you? When you start drinking, can you control how much you drink? Can you stop drinking entirely?

Those are really the only two things you have to relate.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

So where do middle of the road people go for help then? I don't want to reach as far bottom as I can with this.
AEO - As a woman you can surely appreciate the advice to resist the urge to compare your bottom to another's.

Your bottom is yours alone.

And AA does not discriminate by bottom size.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
AEO - As a woman you can surely appreciate the advice to resist the urge to compare your bottom to another's.

Your bottom is yours alone.

And AA does not discriminate by bottom size.
I'm always comparing bottoms
Old 01-28-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

From reading your posts it sounds like pills were as much as, or a greater problem than drinking. Take a look at the Basic Text of NA, you can read it free online, and see if that resonates a bit more. I abused both but found the BT more pertinent to my situation.

I am so glad that you realize that you don't have to go any lower, to start recovery . You are spot on!

Don't think your low is low enough? Think about this for a minute, how quickly and easily booze+pills=death.

If you wait for that consequence (and its really hard when you're wasted to remember how many pills or how many drinks we had) there will be NO chance of recovery. So stopping and staying stopped now is a real good idea.

Many 12 step programs do focus on bottoms and some meetings turn into "my bottom was worse than yours" fests.

If you find that is really making it difficult for you to identify, try another meeting, and check out some other recovery programs. If you can't identify with being derelict, but you KNOW you have using problems, RR/AVRT might be real useful to you.

Addiction may be addiction may be addiction, but as someone who abused both booze and pills, I truly feel there are some aspects of alcoholism that are not the same as drug use. That is one of the reasons I found a recovery home in NA rather than AA. It's not a case of one being better than the other, just which one I was better able to put myself into.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just put the word "yet" after your statements ... don't owe money, no marital issues, legal issues etc.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

aeo ... (((hugs)))

Now ... let me remind you what you posted a few days ago. You were getting off the pills, but then went to a friend's house for dinner ... went to their bathroom, and found a bottle of painkillers. You stole several of them. Took them. Got sick. Felt terrible remorse. Gained greater resolve. Then felt your resolve wavering again.

Classic addict. I know. I've been there.

You don't have to have your entire life in the toilet to be an addict. If your addiction is interfering with your life in any way, even in the smallest of ways, then you have a problem. If you're stealing pills from friends, you have a problem. Is your life unmanageable? Maybe, maybe not. Only you can decide that. If you are convinced your life is not yet unmanageable, then fine. But I guarantee you that if you continue to use in any way, shape or form, you will get there eventually.

Rationalizations and denial are the addict's worst enemies, and they are powerful. They can convince us that we are "okay" because we aren't as "bad off" as some of the other people we've heard about or have met in our AA or NA meetings. So the alcoholic says, "Oh, I've been sober for (insert number here) days ... I can have a drink or two." The pillpopper says, "I've been clean for (insert number here) days ... I can pop a couple." The insanity of it all is knowing that we can't stop at that first drink or that first pill ... and doing it anyway. And then saying that we're still okay because "my life isn't unmanageable, I'll be okay." Denial at its finest.

Only you can determine if you are alcoholic or a narcotics addict. From your previous posts, it seems clear to me that you have already decided this but you figure since your life isn't completely out of control, it may be okay to continue using. I can only say that I feel for you, but this is dangerous thinking. My life wasn't completely unmanageable because of my drinking either, but it was still out of control and ugly in many ways. If I'd waited until it was completely unmanageable (it was bad enough already), I may not have pulled out of it in time to save myself and everyone/everything I cared about.

Not trying to be harsh here ... just offering a reality check. It sounds to me like you're wavering about using again, and my "red flags" went up. I hope you make the best decisions for yourself and your family. Stay strong ... keep your eyes on the prize. It is so much easier to just say "I don't need this stuff" then to engage in brain debates about whether or not you can use "safely and moderately." For must of us, the answer is pretty clear. Best wishes to you.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here aeo

I spent a lot of my 30 years or so as a drug taker and drinker finding it hard to believe I had a problem- I paid all my bills, I achieved a lot in my various careers, I was very skilled at not letting people know I had a problem (or so I thought anyway).

I was very good at finding people to look at say 'hey at least I'm not like them'.

then...I ended up a shambolic, unemployed 24/7 very public drunk.

That progression wasn't clear to me at the time - but when I looked back it was inevitable.

finding the differences is easy - I didn't know many other university educated alcoholics and addicts who were also professional musicians and academics with cerebral palsy (but they're probably out there)

I think now it's way more beneficial to look for the similarities

D
Old 01-29-2012, 04:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

---[pills were interfering with my depression and not letting my prozac work]---

Pills interfere with your depression meds?! I've never heard that. Call me stupid, maybe it should have been common sense. Maybe that's a big part of my problems too.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by GalFriday View Post
---[pills were interfering with my depression and not letting my prozac work]---

Pills interfere with your depression meds?! I've never heard that. Call me stupid, maybe it should have been common sense. Maybe that's a big part of my problems too.
My therapist drew a big diagram describing it to me. Bunch of stuff about seratonin. I can't recall details right now, just that the vicodin changes your brain chemicals. Or something. It's early, and I'm tired
Old 01-29-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The big book is not "The Answer". It's just a suggested path. I found AA was unhealthy for my sobriety. Do what works for you.