Sobriety looks very good on Spicoli

Old 12-13-2003, 07:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure why this didn't post the first time, I'm trying again...

Today was our boy's birthday. It is tradition in our family to get the Christmas tree on that happy occasion. Since Saturday is Spicoli's day with the boy, we decided to make this an outing for all three of us. And it was a charming day. Did I say charming? Why yes I did. And believe me, in years past, getting the Christmas tree with Spicoli was anything but charming. Whether he was dry or drinking.
To make this even more amusing, I had to do all the "man work" since Spicoli broke his wrist last weekend. (Loading band equipment and icy pavement do not mix.) And he was cool with that too. He jokingly said it was a lesson in humility. I jokingly replied that he was getting in touch with his feminine side. I put the tree in the stand, he made the coffee. I put the lights on the tree, he kindly suggested placement ideas. We got a pizza. The boy opened his birthday gifts. We all had a good time. The boy had a good birthday. No harsh words were spoken. No one's temper flared. No one's feelings got hurt.
It was a nice glimpse at what it's like to be a "functional" family. Thank you Santa for the early Christmas gift. It's already in my treasure box.
In January of this year, Spicoli was at rock bottom with his drinking and checking into rehab for the second time in a month. He had no job and he had hurt every single person that he loved.
He is now gainfully employed and is rebuilding the bridges that he burned. I felt like I should post this good experience to let people know that things can get better. The AA program is a beautiful thing and people who stick with it often experience miraculous growth. Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob are my heroes. I'm off to say a fervent prayer of gratitude for both of them and the legacy they left for all of us.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 12-13-2003, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a beautiful Christmas story Gabe! Thank you so much for sharing it. I need tissues.

Huge Christmas hugs!
Smoke
Old 12-14-2003, 06:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Quit hogging the Kleenex Smoke!!

Gratitude can be so overwelming...snif.

(((Hugs)))
JT
Old 12-14-2003, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a great story Gabe but why didn't you bring more tissues:greencry:

I just loved your post and thank-you so much for sharing this with us. I also really appreciated how much gratitude you had for just a nice peaceful day with your ex. It helps me put things in perspective a little. Maybe it's because I'm an addict as well but it seems I won't be happy until my H goes back to AA, makes a total transformation, and changes everything about his life.

Your post reminded me that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. It's progress not perfection.

I'm so very happy for you and your son. Happy birthday to him, fellow Sagittarius
Old 12-14-2003, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Pass me a tissue too! That was wonderful and I'm happy for you and your family.

Summer
Old 12-14-2003, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
believer

What a wonderful story - thanks for sharing that with us.

Hugs,
JG
Old 12-14-2003, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

Don't ya JUST love when things work out like they are supposed to? Even if it IS just one day at a time, it's still one day!

Congrats and hugs
Barb
Old 12-15-2003, 03:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Gabe -

Smoke just got in my eyes!!!!! You made me feel all warm and fuzzy for all of you and for myself. Thanks for sharing.

Big hug, Jo