Notices

How long did it take you to re-adjust to a sober life?

Old 01-04-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long did it take you to re-adjust to a sober life?

I'm just curious what everyone experienced in the early recovery stages. I am at 6 months and I think I am just starting to get used to it and adjust. I think I have a long road ahead of me but it has definitely gotten easier with time. When I first quit, I never imagined it would take as long as it has to adjust. But now that I have a clear head, I realize that it's going to take a lot longer than 6 months for my mind and body to recover from the abuse. It's amazing how much better everything in my life is when I am not poisoning myself every other day =)
Old 01-04-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

At a 180 days I felt like I had definitely turned a corner, but I don't think I was living a sober life until a year. And truthfully, I'm still adjusting. I drank for over thirty years. So I've got a lot of ground to cover.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I am at almost 9 months and I'd say that life has never really felt "normal" so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be feeling, but I can say that things have become much more stable and predictable in the last 4 months or so.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It took me about a year. The hardest thing about sobriety is developing constructive things to do with the time you used to spend drinking/drunk. Replacing old, destructive, habits and the drinking environment with new healthier habits and environment is a difficult and time-consuming process. Stick with it and it will come; it is definitely worth the trouble.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah the hardest part for me is balance I think. Trying to replace the partying with constructive things without going to the extreme with the healthy things lol.It's definitely worth it though. It seems like I kept putting off all my priorities to drink and party. Then when I decided that wasn't working for me, quit and started picking up the mess. I never thought I had made such a mess of my life, and I never thought it would take this much effort to put things back in place. I am healthier than I have been in years though and it feels great. Thanks for your replies guys!!
Old 01-04-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The first 6 months had the biggest adjusting to life sober learning curve. I continue to learn but at a more gradual pace
Old 01-04-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Always felt like I needed to attend some sort of 'normal life - boot camp - 101' Thankfully now at 3 months sober (I know, not all that long) I'm not reading up on getting a lobotomy anymore.