Notices

headaches/migraine

Old 01-03-2012, 10:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy headaches/migraine

wow, i just finally got over a 3 day migraine! still having some residual effects though. im on day 8 and since the first day ive had daily headache, but the last 3 days were unbearable! even though i managed to stick it out at work till 10:15pm, i was misserable and feeling like it would NEVER end. i also get the aura with them wich makes it really hard to concentrate on anything.

i went to the ER because although ive had migraines in the past, never this long. and never this bad...it got my anxiety going pretty bad. lol didnt end up seeing a doctor though, i waited two hours in waiting room but it was too much to bear, i need my dark, cold room stat!

anyone else have migraines when they quit? i made a dr appointment today but cant get seen till the 16th.

my head still hurts, but feels more like my brain is free floating in liquid and everytime i move, it bumps into my skull.

really hope that when i wake up tomorrow it will be comletely gone.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did have regular daily headaches yeah - I tried to keep up my fluids and avoid diuretics like caffeine and it helped me a lot.

I'd encourage you to see a Dr if they continue Vanilla...there are many causes of migraine.

D
Old 01-04-2012, 05:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had headaches for about 45 days - bad at first and then just annoying. Then they finally went away.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're going to see your dr and I hope that you find some relief for your headaches.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I get migraines too, but they didn't start until a few years after I quit drinking. They are so awful and I imagine they are particularly debilitating for you this early in recovery.

I'm glad you're seeing a doctor. I've had to work regularly with mine to address the headaches, but what works for me might not work for you. I take a beta-blocker every day for prevention and a vasodilator when I actually get a headache.

Good luck, I really feel for you.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oddly enough, as of Monday I started up with massive migraines like I used to have when I was a teenager. I think mine are related to my cold that I'm getting over however.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry for your pain, Vanilla. I had headaches for about 10 days, but not migraines. I'm glad you're seeing a doctor and hope you get relief soon!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks for the replies guys! its defenatly been sucking pretty bad. I work in a printing shop so it loud, and has florecent lights everywhere so its been making it worse. it could probably be related to a bunch of things.

like having no sugar since i quit drinking (i think im the only person here who doesnt get those sugar cravings when they quit lol) plus, now that im not drinking alcohol, ive been drinking lots of coffee, and smoking waaay too much. it just sucks because by now i thought i would be feeling great.

really not wanting to go to work tonight, just want to stay in bed all day. humph.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Vanilla28,

Cutting down a little bit on coffee and nicotine should help you, try and give it a shot.
Cutting down on sugar completely i dont think is a good idea, there are natural ways to keep your sugar intake at healthy levels. Try and find a diet that is appropriate for your needs.

As Dee74 pointed out, I'd encourage you to see a Dr if the migraines continue Vanilla...there are many causes of migraine.

I hope things get better for you, stay strong.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have more headaches now than I have since I was 14 and I get the aura too! It's bad. I have to call my doc but I am so leary of all this medicine. It's so hard because sometimes they are worse than a hangover! YES I said it. I have one right now and it's driving me crazy. Had one yesterday too. ugh! I feel your pain!
Old 01-04-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
orangutan

I had headaches daily for about 2 weeks straight when I first stopped not migraines though.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Vanilla,
Just a hunch because of the time of year. At work or at home is there an unvented heater or space heater? They can generate a lot of CO in some situations or even a little can cause some headaches and other flu-like symptoms at low levels daily exposure. If there is a gas or kerosene or wood heater with a bad vent that could cause that.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I once cut sugar out suddenly and completely and got incredible migraines, so you may want to look at that too Vanilla. Ask your Doc

D