Notices

There's not enough sugar in the world!

Old 12-29-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

There's not enough sugar in the world!

Srsly! My sugar craves have been off the chart since I quit drinking. Lollipops are my primary crave. Occasional chocolate but mostly lollipops. I know this is because alcohol has such a high sugar content but I am concerned that I may be overdoing it. I probably have 6 Blow Pops a day. I eat well. I don't eat much junk food. Is this okay or am I kinda sorta cross addicting? I haven't seen any rehab clinics for lollipops, lol!
Old 12-29-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Got a big smile from this post! My sugar cravings have been out of control as well. I've been through nearly two 1 lb. bags of truffles since Christmas alone. Also bubble gum, loads of bubble gum. I think we'll be okay so long as we remember to brush our teeth often, lol.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

One of my goals is to avoid sugar. I know that if it's between a drink and a sugar I'll choose sugar. But I read an article about prolonging your cravings by eating sugar. It's sort of feeding your body with what it's missing (alcohol). I wonder how true it is. Last time I quit 2 yrs ago, I gained tons of weight!
Old 12-29-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
One of my goals is to avoid sugar. I know that if it's between a drink and a sugar I'll choose sugar. But I read an article about prolonging your cravings by eating sugar. It's sort of feeding your body with what it's missing (alcohol). I wonder how true it is. Last time I quit 2 yrs ago, I gained tons of weight!
I could stand to gain a little weight myself.

Eating healthy for the most part so I'm not too worried about the sugar craving for now.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me it was M&Ms. Peanut. Bags and bags.

I'm off the sugar for the most part now. I really enjoy a bowl of ice cream before bed each night.

I gained about 10 extra lbs in the first six months (I was 30lbs underweight before that). That has fallen back to close to normal again. My pants are a bit tighter than they used to be, however.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by flamingredhair View Post
I could stand to gain a little weight myself.

Eating healthy for the most part so I'm not too worried about the sugar craving for now.
I didn't do that all - when on a downward spiral with food. I'm already overweight so gaining was horrible! But I told myself, I'm better off without booze. Good luck to you and know I will soon be there with you.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hehehe...I don't think I can quit cold turkey with candy like I did alcohol but i'm going to work on cutting down a little...once this nutty vacation is over! ^_^
Old 12-29-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Displaced: LOL!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been through HAVE TO HAVE IT ice cream stage every day, then it was cookies, then it was cerial, then it was candy, now I'm back to cookies.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It happened to me, too. I craved anything sweet, even stuff I normally never bothered with like cake or pastries. Go figure. I remember 'needing' tootsie pops all the time - especially when watching tv. They seemed to calm my nerves. Thankfully, the cravings ended after a few months - because my sugar level was up when I went to the dr.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Displacedgrits,

I am hearing you, nearly 7 months sober and it has to stop. It is becoming an addiction, everyday I have decided to quit to no avail.

Is there a sugar support group on this website and if not would anyone like to start one.

I read a couple of books on the evils of sugar when I was still drinking, funny I was shocked at the damage that sugar was doing to my body but totally ignoring the alcohol problem.

Hevyn I love the avatar/dog.

CaiHong
Old 12-29-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I seriously stopped drinking this summer, I gave myself permission to eat whatever I wanted and believe me, I ate cookies by the dozens and drank large amounts of soda and lemonade…sugar is better than wine in my book. Took about five months but the sugar cravings have subsided significantly.

Last edited by Vantrina; 12-29-2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Added an "I" :)
Old 12-29-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

I definitely have a sugar addiction! I am working on that also..

I've noticed it comes on 10x stronger when I stop drinking. I have 6 days back now and I am really craving something sweet.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

2 Dum Dums lollipops have 51 calories...stay away from the cake! I went up one size in 4 months. At a little over 6 months sober, my sugar craving stopped! On my "weight" back to my original size....
Old 12-29-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
Srsly! My sugar craves have been off the chart since I quit drinking. Lollipops are my primary crave. Occasional chocolate but mostly lollipops. I know this is because alcohol has such a high sugar content but I am concerned that I may be overdoing it. I probably have 6 Blow Pops a day. I eat well. I don't eat much junk food. Is this okay or am I kinda sorta cross addicting? I haven't seen any rehab clinics for lollipops, lol!
Recently when I made my 20days, I found myself buying excessive amounts of chocolate bars and other sweet stuff... I tried to convince myself it was a phase after a period of sobriety, because I remember doing it before when I decided to take a break (I always stayed away from alcohol on January). I wonder though, is it a healthy thing? I mean too much sugar is not good, AND, are we substituting?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Two words; Starlite Mints.
Hi I am Itchy and I am a mintaholic. * HI Itchy! * I eat about 50 a day. I have tried to cut back but moderation isn't in me. I have admitted I am powerless over mints. I have gained 46 pounds and still I crave them, I wake up at night and have one to go back to sleep. I have mint dreams and my wife knows I can't stop. She is enabling me by buying them by the 2 pound bagful. I tell her not to get them then sneak out and buy some anyway and hide them all over the house and vehicles. But it is no use as she can smell them on my breath.

Tomorrow will be my last day, then I start day one on Friday. Then Friday I will wait till tomorrow and then again. I can't break this cycle. I am eating them in the morning now. Gotta go I'm running low again.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hahaha, Itchy. Exactly what I was thinking!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Me too.

Ice cream.

Chocolate.

I never used to eat sweets at all. Now I seem to crave it daily.

Do I really have to stop?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Incredible......alcoholics, we're all the same. I have a bag of blow pops in my desk, and a giant halloween sized bag of bubble gum (cry babies, gum balls, double bubble). Is it crazy that i was feeling a little cheated that the bag of blow pops are smaller lollipops than the individually sold ones?

Unbelievable - graduate school, homeowner, professional, and I'm measuring up lollipops and craving 5cent gum....A GIANT MIDGET I AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Alcohol/candies/smoking . . . all Adult Binkies! We are only once removed from sucking our thumbs!
:crazy