Notices

Over 3 weeks

Old 12-27-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

Over 3 weeks

And the weird things have subsided. I was actually having symptoms of a cold for a good while. I never got "sick" but I felt that feeling in the back, and the bad headaches that are gone now.

I'm sure there's more to come but I know I'm out of the woods now.

I wake up rested and feel happy about the day ahead, spend more time at work cause I'm not interested in getting off to drink.

I've done this several times(quit) and can't remember why I ever go back to it.

The thought of a drink makes me sick to my stomach right now.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's really good to hear, and I'm glad you're feeling better.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fantastic!!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-28-2011, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you! Keep it up, it only gets better.

Best to you.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job, keep up the good work!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good for you HF!
I am amazed at the number of folks here who say the same thing. They quit and relapsed or went back. (same thing) I could not get one morning sober and was trapped by my addiction! I barely escaped with my life. I am not exaggerating. I had one chance and made it. Reading that you have done a successful quit several times? And went back from freedom to slavery again? Trust me, one day quitting won't be so easy. It is then that it is too late for too many.

Don't take your sobriety for granted again. You are already talking like you plan to relapse again. :mog

Once again, Congrats!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Isn't this the best part?

Originally Posted by HardwiredFlaws View Post
I wake up rested and feel happy about the day ahead.
My reason for making it through the day sober!
Old 12-28-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you HardwiredFlaws,

Hey Itchy why do you think that HWF may be heading for a relapse from his post?

I remember in early sobriety I was so on the alert about relapsing. Most of my posts were about how to prevent a relapse. I listened to relapse broadcasts on soberrecovery broadcast network over and over again.

I think it is important that you trace the beginnings what sparked the relapse as they say, it begins before you pick up a drink.

When I read posts from people who have relapsed after say five years 2 years the year number, I think. Oh No. I find it really depressing and to those that relapse after so long a sobriety can you please qualify it with an inklling to us newcomers what sparked it why you think it happened if you haven't already, please.

CaiHong
Old 12-29-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Cai Hong,
It was the line

"I've done this several times(quit) and can't remember why I ever go back to it."

Remembering why we quit is only half of it for people who have a history of a relapse cycle. Remembering why we relapsed and how stupid it was is probably even more important to prevent another
Moment!

An example. I quit smoking 20 years ago and after 18 months I talked myself into smoking just one to see what it was like again! WHAT???? AS IF I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THEY TASTED LIKE AFTER TENS OF THOUSANDS I SMOKED???
Within a couple of days I was back to 2 packs a day and was not able to quit again. But I wore out several pairs of kneecaps kicking myself in the arse about being so stupid to fall for the "try just one" thought. I swore that if I could ever quit again I would never have that one smoke ever again!

I got into serious trouble with alcohol and couldn't quit it either, so I arranged for a 7 day in hospital detox. I had never gotten the determination up to quit smoking again either. But I remembered what happened and even before I detoxed I swore that once I had this head start and the poisons were out of my system I would never again fall for that "I can handle just one now" self delusional nonsense. September 21st 2010 I checked in and quit both the 3 pack a day and the 30 units a day addictions at one time. I had horrible PAWS for months. I never once faltered in my determination that I will not have the one drink or the one smoke ever, not in this lifetime.

I have never, nor will ever, forget how stupid my taking that one smoke so many years ago was. That decision made my cravings non existent. I could bat them away and forget them every time because it was what I decided I wanted.

I don't have another 20 years in me. I could never again be that stupid, knowing what I know now. Because I haven't forgotten why I stupidly smoked that one cigarette, so many years ago.

To me and my sobriety, the most important thing, was that remembering, of one incident, 20 years ago. Besides, I don't miss anything about drinking. I hated it the last two years. I isolated because of it. I had nothing I was running away from and could handle all that life threw at me, until alcohol on top of smoking. I have run away from the only two things in my life I could not handle. Alcohol and tobacco. I control the hands that used them.

Make sense Cai?
Old 12-29-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Itchy,

Yes I think the "headstart" resonates for me as well. I gave up smoking for 5 years, shared a joint and was back ro smoking again the same day. I went to a health spa for 10 days, 2 years ago and managed to give up again. I am thinking of doing the same thing for my sugar cravings.
Yes, important to remember what led up to our picking up again.

All the best
CaiHong