Notices

BabyBlues

Old 12-25-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

BabyBlues

A few months ago, I was in an accident that caused my body considerable pain. I was prescribed roxycodone and within weeks I knew I was addicted. Recently I found out i was pregnant as well. I stopped taking the pills... Yay for me. But I still feel awful. Its like part blues withdrawal and part baby.
Im trying to figure out a natural way to feel well again. I know about suboxone and others like it but i worry if its safe for my baby. Is there some kind of herb or supplement that will get my body working right and help it to produce natural opiates so that i can finally get my energy back. My kids are my life and im not doing the best i possibly could for them. I know im better than this.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome blue. Congratulations on your new baby and also for stopping the oxys. I was addicted to those as well some time ago. The withdrawals were very intense for me. Felt like the flu times 100, no sleep, anxiety, no energy. It will vary from person to person, dosage, amount of time you used them. If you have been off of them for a week or so, you may have gotten through the worst part, but the effects can still linger for awhile. If it gets really bad, don't hesitate to go to the ER.
It will get better though, I promise. Especially if you have a program or plan in place to guide you in recovery. Posting here with honesty was a great start.
I have kids too and sobriety is an awesome gift to them. Stick to it. Best wishes and God bless.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not aware of anything 'natural' for pain management, but I am sure others on this message board may have more knowledge. Have you discussed this with your doctor? Congratulations on the pregnancy
Old 12-25-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi bluesandbaby

According to our rules we can't recommend treatments anyway, but I think that's a blessing for you in this case.

I'd really speak to your Dr about this - I think it's important to get professional advice, especially when you're responsible for 2 lives now.

Welcome to SR

D
Old 12-26-2011, 05:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

congrats on the baby! I wouldn't take anything because you never know the effects of the baby. try some yoga or walking to increase energy
Old 12-26-2011, 05:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FT

Hi bluesandbaby,

Even vitamins have a rating (A,B,C,D or X). Opiates (including methadone and suboxone) fall in there, too. The system has to do with potential risk on a number of levels, one of which is fetal harm. Be careful and don't take anything you haven't run past your doctor or midwife yet. All substances poses potential fetal risk.

I'm glad you've quit the opiates. They are horrible for you and worse for your fetus.

Good luck, and avoid those kinds of things for the rest of your life. If you are an addictive type, ask for something non addictive if you even need pain control again, especially postpartum, since they can make postpartum depression more likely, or worse if you get it anyway.

FT
Old 12-26-2011, 05:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi, Congratulations on the baby news!

I think that working on your recovery on a daily basis will help you to feel better. Are you getting exercise? I find that yoga works wonderfully well, and walking is a great pass-time and will help you to feel better too.