Notices

Hey Everybody, New Here and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey Everybody, New Here and Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to all the good SR folks! I've been lurking a few weeks and have decided to take the plunge! I have a Dr. appointment Tuesday, and have decided to come totally clean with my Dr. about my drinking and get cleaned up! I have BSed him for years, and while I don't think he believes me in reation to quantity, I don't think he really knows either. Long time (25 yr. +) heavy daily drinker. I'm pretty sure he's going to recommend inpatient detox.....magnum bottle of wine plus a few beers daily! The last couple of weeks, the anxiety and fear have gone WAY over the edge. I talked to a friend who is in recovery and agreed that the withdrawal isn't going to likely get better....only worse. Does anybody have a feeling for whether I go 30 days or just detox then AA? My Insurance will cover my 30 days.....BUT, I still have my family, and that would be a LONG time away....you guys are a very helpful bunch! And again Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tropfever
Welcome

I think you're better to wait and see what your Dr says first.
If for any reason you don't trust your Dr's opinion why not get a second opinion?

D
Old 12-25-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Dee....thanks for the welcome. I hear you on the waiting to hear his advice thing.....really don't know what to expect. After reading numerous threads, seeing my Dr. seemed to be a good first step
Old 12-25-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome tropfever.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you have been drinking that daily...You can bet he's going to want to see inpatient detox...I detoxed five days...Mostly in bed...Stumbled down to get more meds now and then....I had 30 days in a rehab that was pretty much gearing you for AA...I got to go to one meeting a day my second week...Studied the Big Book in my free time and left at the end of my second week, so I could go to more meetings and get refunded for the last two weeks....I did 180+ meetings in 90 days...Kept studying the BB and worked the steps....Fearless and thorough from the very start. I have six months sober in two days and just spent a wonderful Christmas with family....The only one not drinking. It's an amazing program....It helps to be honest, openminded and willing....It works...If you work it.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Tropfever - glad you made the post and welcome to the posting side of SR. Posting here has helped me so much over the past 2 months. My Dr. was great and made a few suggestions of what I could do.

Hope all goes well on Tuesday.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Sapling,
I figured that was the case.....but I will wait to see what the DR. says.....my friend in recovery is a pro who handles alcohol issues for a large metro police force.....he's no novice.....all I know is the anxiety is absolutely killing me! Somehow ( yeah right) it has switched from using to needing...gotta stop! Yesterday was a great day at the NE Pat's game.....today was Christmas and it was a white knuckle ride all day!.....This nonsense has to stop! Can't keep doing this to my family! Thanks for the reply
Old 12-25-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

sorry double post
Old 12-25-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

By the way.....Really nice job on the sobriety for everybody!
Old 12-25-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcom trop. You are taking a HUGE first step in admitting you have a problem and deciding to be honest about it. Most people recover much faster and have a lower chance of using again if they have a solid program, support group in place. For me it is AA. You will find others here who use other programs as well. You have found a great community here. Stay with us. I was blessed to find it 30 days ago.
Best wishes and God bless.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Jocata......It is a big step forward and I've been thinking about it alot lately......if we're going to be honest, mostly because I can't handle the withdrawal anxiety any more! AA could work..others may...I just know I gotta' sober up......and stay that way!
Old 12-25-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I chose to go to go to detox (ended up being about 6 days) and then AA. It didn't work out to well, as I relapsed after 27 days, so you might want to try and stick out the full 30 days (especially if it is covered by your insurance). I didn't want to be away from my family for an entire month, but, in retrospect, I made the wrong decision.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I appreciate the honest advice James.....I'll put it all together and see where my story comes out....as long as I've been dependent....this one should be a thriller!....just sayin'....EVERYBODY has a story on this board!! Good luck and great job on your 30 days!
Old 12-25-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

oops....Sorry James... 27 days...and still a great job!!
Old 12-25-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome tropfever!

Congratulations for coming to the decision to get sober! It's a big step and a scary one, but SO worth it. I know what you mean about the anxiety - it's awful to wake up to it every day.

I've been to treatment twice, and while I felt bad for leaving my family, it was the best thing I ever did. Personally, I think it gives you a great head start on sobriety, though everyone's unique.

Hang in there - it gets better!!!!