Notices

Dad and AA

Old 12-24-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dad and AA

At our family holiday party I decided to talk to my dad about my drinking. He was an alcoholic his whole life but has been clean for the last 28 years after a heart attack and stroke. He is 80 years old and left us when I was 5. He was a very bad father but my mom took him back after the heart attack. We are not that tight as you can imagine and I really don't want to go with him.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

You do realize that you just might be doing two acceptances in one? Sometimes non-judgmental understanding is more than any of us are lucky enough to get in this life from our parents and family.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How did it go? I think it natural to start examining relationships and marriage when you start recovery. We really haven't been in a true marriage with our partners when we are drinking all the time. Granted I stayed home and drank, and now that it has been 2 weeks for me.... I don't see us together still. But I know to keep my wandering mind on myself and my recovery first. We are newbies to this. I would recommend individual therapy for you first and then have your wife join you when your therapist feels the timing is right.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Duke,
I can relate, I hated my father my whole life. He was definitely not a good father and I refused to visit his deathbed or attend his funeral.

Has your father ever made amends to you? Has he ever aknowledged the harm he may have done to you by being a neglectful father? If he is an AA member it would be expected that he would. If he hasn't, well....................

CaiHong
Old 12-26-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow! What a big decision. I am so proud of you! :ghug3