Notices

surreal.....

Old 12-23-2011, 11:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

surreal.....

quick story. Got off of work tonight, went straight to a bar to meet some friends for a beer even though I tell myself I am trying to quit but something crazy happend... I walked in... said hi to old friends I havent seen in a bit... I ordered a beer and than instead of pounding it down and ordering another, I walked around with it for about a half hour taking maybe three sips of it. I looked at my surroundings, (as a sober person)... and didnt like what I saw. I politely said goodbye to everybody telling them that I had to get up early and proceeded to throw away my full beer and left....... I feel great. I think this is the first time I feel that I had more power over the booze than it did over me..... I titled this post "surreal" because it just sort of occured to me that maybe I am finally ready to quit... and it didnt take me hitting a bottom this time.... anybody else here ever quit before they hit bottom?
Old 12-24-2011, 06:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A lot of us quit before a really bad bottom. But a lot also don't even get a chance before it's too late. Get a plan together for recovery and you will be at a great start.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

wichitaks, that's a good story. I think those moments of clarity when we realize we're not enjoying the drinking scene as much as we think we are are important to sobriety.

Many of us have quit before hitting total rock bottom, especially since the ultimate rock bottom is death from drinking.

I hope your experience last night inspires you to come up with a plan and to quit drinking. ("Do or do not," as Yoda said. "There is no try." )

Merry Christmas to you!
Old 12-24-2011, 11:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

You're learning, just like the rest of us.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Whichitaks, take this feeling you have now as a blessing, a supreme gift. So few of us have made it to sobriety unscathed, and this is your chance to do just that. You know that SR will provide you plenty of support. Keep us posted.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you! Walking away from a bar situation where you have been familiar with for so many years is hard to do. Bravo.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi wichita - That's very good news. You have a great attitude - sounds like you are really ready to do this thing.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of your comments everybody it really means alot and dont get me wrong I've had many bottoms and tried many times to quit, but never had I gone to my hangout with the intention of drinking and getting drunk only to have that feeling come over me of "what the heck am I doing here"? Today was a great morning, woke up sober on chrismas eve for the first time in years.... I hope all of you have a great christmas and wish everybody happiness in the future