Notices

So tired of being dizzy

Old 12-22-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry So tired of being dizzy

I mean it comes and goes, but for the most part I'm dizzy a lot. It had started getting better around the 4 month mark. And now I'm a week over 6 months and it is horrible. Like I had it, it went away and now it's back. When I walk I feel spacey, dizzy and just off balance. I read that this can be from P.A.W.S. but It's just getting so discouraging. This is the 1st time in a while where I've wondered why I'm doing this. I know I'm healthier, but it's like I have no life. I can't make plans a head of time because I never know how I'm gonna feel. I read about pills that can help, but they say that doesn't help in the long run. So that just leaves me lost on what to do.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hang in there.I had similar symptoms. I felt so dizzy and when I went to sleep at night I would wake upfeeling like on a rollercoaster ride .It passed eventually,however if you are unsur just see a doctor. Forme it wassometimes so bad that I would sit on a chair talking to somebody and it started spinning all around me and I felt like I am falling off the chair.... I am 10month in and I feelokay now
Old 12-22-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Please go see a doctor. Part of recovery is taking excellent care of ourselves in all ways. Your Dr. can give you answers and ease your mind.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Definitely, this is something to talk to your dr about. It could be any number of things and the best way to deal with it, is to get the medical opinion that you need.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If I have no insurance, should I just go to the E.R.??
Old 12-22-2011, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can go to some local state healthcare walk in clinics. I know there are some in my state and they are fairly cheap.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FT

Some ER's are set up for "urgent care", or visits for people without doctors. Most, however, appreciate it when people get in to see an urgent care clinic designed for that. Most larger towns have them. Smaller towns, maybe you could get in to a family type doctor.

Either way, if you think it is an urgent problem, get right in somewhere. If not, get in where you can, as soon as you can. It may be something as simple as allergies, but sinus infections and more serious things are not always obvious in terms of symptoms.

Good luck!

FT
Old 12-22-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Are you ok to drive to a clinic or should you consider making arrangements for someone to drive you. Be safe! I always have horrible vertigo after I come off a bender but it passes within 4 to 5 days. I hope a doctor can give you some relief. I know it's an awful feeling. Good luck!
Old 12-22-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would go get check out if I were you. It could be a number of things. I once had vertigo, and boy, did that throw me for a loop. Your inner ear, sinuses and the like can really throw you off.
Really...go to the dr. and have them check it out. Hope you feel better soon.

Oh, I just read displacedgrits' post...yeah, same thing here. Not pleasant.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

These posts really worry me as that was near the top of my 'quit list'. I'm at 3months and feeling much, much better, but I too still have wobbly-vertigo moments. I'm in the same boat with no ins. but there is a clinic near me I can go to.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey Big Guy,
If you served in the military and got an honorable discharge for the minimum time of 18 months service or whatever it is now, you are eligible for VA health care. If not go to this search and start calling to find the place that can help with medical for your issues:

Bakersfield California free clinics - Google Search

Old 12-22-2011, 11:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Slim-
You are the only other person to describe what is likely symptoms of PAWS that mirrors my own experience.

At about 5-6 months I suddenly couldn't think straight. I'd go to meetings and if I shared the words came out all out of order. I ran into things and fell down all the time. I felt like I was living in a constant state of confusion and couldn't interpret people's emotions.

This was all very scary stuff and had I not known what it was I likely would have relapsed.

I promise this - you will come out of it soon and be stronger and have a clearer mind than you ever had.

Paws lasted about 6-8 weeks for me in the very worst stage.

I was a daily/maintenance drinking- 12 pack or more. I'm curious if you had the same drinking patterns as well.

Hang tough, man. It will pass.

*If you feel like you are in real trouble, please get checked out. No shame in being careful.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. My daily drinking was a pint of vodka and sometimes I'd drink a 40oz with it.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

and get your Blood Pressure checked too.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My blood pressure was 115/78 last time I had it checked.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Big guy,
You first objected to going to a doc because of no insurance. When I posted the free clinics and that you might be eligible to go to the VA if you served you gave no response.

You are asking about a medical condition that can be a symptom of several things that needs docs and some tests to see what can be done. This time of year there are also lots of infected ears and sinuses going around which if left untreated can cause partial or total deafness. My wife had an ear infection at age 7 or so that went undiagnosed longer than necessary as she was an Air Force dependent daughter so was covered, and she is totally deaf in that ear as a result.

I seriously doubt that if you go back to drinking again the dizziness will go away. I have yet to see drinking 19 to 20 drinks or units (drink equivalents) a day cure any medical problem it caused. Pint =16 oz or shots = 16 units, and a 40 oz beer is more than three 12 oz beers = 3.33 units

Look the simple fact is that alcohol does not cure physical ailments or help in our quantities, it cause physical problems 100% of the time, over time.

Why won't you go to a doc get right and stay sober?

I sure hope whatever your problem is it turns out not to be anything that gets worse the longer it is left untreated.

You are in my thoughts, hope you get well.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

an inner ear infection can be difficult to DX and make you feel quite craptastic. it can be caused by a variety of things that are going on with you totally UNalcohol related. it could be neuro, it could be cardiac, it could be PAWS, it could be a variety or combo of things.

this is something that needs to be given over to a professional, not here or the drugstore BP monitor. if you feel bad enough that you don't want to make weekly plans, it's something that needs to be addressed sooner than later. and you should tell the doc. you have no insurance, many have a sliding fee scale based on your income.

if you know exactly what it is, you'll feel better.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm not going to go back to drinking. I was just stressed out when I said that. I've been to a doctor when I was around the 3 month mark. I had my ears, eyes, and head examined. There was no sinus or ear infection. I had a chest x ray and EKG, my heart checked out fine. They said I have anxiety. I've chosen not to take pills, but sometimes I feel like I should. But like I said I have times where I'm completely fine. So I've been trying to tough it out. I was just needed to vent and wanted to hear others experience during this period of time.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Like everyobdy recommended, definitely see a doc BGS, it could have many different causes.

The dizziness that plagued me for a good year disappeared when I started doing yoga and learnt to breathe correctly - turns out that I was hyperventilating.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks for posting back. I was worried about you. Are they saying non-specific anxiety where there is not apparent trigger it just comes and goes? I used progressive muscle relaxation which has to be practiced to get it to deep relaxation. But it works. It is the same thing as the runner's high, the meditation float, they are all different paths to the same relaxation response. No technique works that isn't done and practiced.

Progressive Muscle Relaxation video - YouTube

It is best if you loosen clothing and lie back on a sofa or stretch out on the floor. It is also great if you are having problems going to sleep. 20 minutes of relaxing after the active tensing releasing and that is all it takes a day. For me I feel like I have had a full night's sleep after only a half hour of relaxing in that state. This is something you can do for yourself any time you need it. It is easier if you let another like the person in this video talk you through it for the timing. It works!

Ever notice that when your mind is tense, your muscles follow? The opposite is true too. When you learn to relax your body, your mind follows.