Notices

Drunk Dreaming!

Old 12-14-2011, 03:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drunk Dreaming!

Hey everyone! Hope everybody is hanging in there, I haven't been able to post in a few days- working LOTS of OT.

So anyway, last night, I drank a lot, got into loud arguments with my family, and had my husband tell me he was leaving me. THEN I WOKE UP!!!! You guessed it, I was actually dreaming this crap! I woke up in a panic, thinking I had actually done those things! Has this happened to anybody else? I was SO relieved that I hadn't messed up my sobriety...getting close to a month....YAY!!!!! Hope all of you are doing well. I'm still meeting with the counselor- not sure if it's helping a whole lot- most of my issues are great, as long as I don't drink,lol. Thanks again for all of you posting- Reading every day makes me determined to get it right this time, hugs to all.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Everyone has these dreams. I used to have them a lot when I was drinking too. I can tell you that I have those dreams much less often than before. I've been sober for 6 months now though.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have had some of these dreams, and even woken up feeling hungover. The mind is an interesting thing! Congrats on hanging in there! I'm sure this is all part of the healing process.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Dreams? You Bet!

After my wife caught me hiding booze, which was the catalyst for my quitting, I was caught another half dozen times or so in my dreams.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Much less frequently than before, but yes.. I do still have them!
Old 12-14-2011, 06:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

Had one of those dreams just a few days ago....what a relief to wake up and realize I was still sober.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I thought they were over, but I had a doozy this morning!! Glad you are doing well, SadRN.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't dream when I'm drinking. I went years without dreaming, and then when I started having them sober, they really kind of freaked me out!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, I've had drinking dreams too. There was one particularly vivid dream that I woke from believing it had really happened. I was devastated! I was awake for a good ten minutes before it sunk it that it was actually a dream, and it was such a relief, but it did leave me feeling worried that I might subconsciously want a drink.

I've since heard that it's pretty common for recovering addicts to dream about succumbing to the substance that they were addicted to and nothing to worry about.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've heard it referred to as "pillow slips"
Old 12-14-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

From what I have heard, using dreams are normal. I've just had one and it was one night last week. I was at an outdoor concert and everyine, including me, ordered Bloody Marys. I didn't drink mine, though.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had a dream of drinking beer last night. It's funny, beer was never my go to. I think I had had 5 or 6 in the dream when I looked down I thought "Why am I drinking?"
Old 12-14-2011, 11:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

10 months and a day and I still have them. Not as often now, but more vivid. I wake up feeling guilty and angry.

It's VERY normal, though.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had them often the first 6 months. Funny how you wake up feeling guilty and ashamed.

I've had them and still felt bad hours after waking up lol.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am pretty sure if I regret the drink in the dream I will regret any in the real world, so the dreams for me are good reminders.

There getting further apart here too at almost 10 months.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

LOL I had one last night where first my Mom admitted to me that she had abused me (which to my knowledge NEVER happened!) and then she kept pouring me a glass of wine and pushing it in front of me (which happens a lot when I've tried to go sober in the past).
I woke up really afraid this morning that I screwed up and actually drank one! Of course I didn't but the fear was still there.