Notices

My brother blames himself for my addiction

Old 12-07-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy My brother blames himself for my addiction

It's time in my recovery/steps that I make a list of those I've hurt and make amends.#1 on my list is my little brother. We were really close. He needed oral surgery and got Percocerts which I stole and they were my first taste of opiate narcotics, because they were his pillshe believes my addiction to be his fault! Then I made his life hell for 3 weeks forcing him not to tell anyone, and when he told our parents I said the worst things I've ever said to anyone in my life, then I stopped speaking to him.
He saved my life. He's just a kid starting high school. And even though I'm 6 years older he was more mature!
I was expecting to see him when my family visited instead I got a letter in which he apologized to me! and expressed his guilt.
I know what I need to say to him (mostly). But what do I do? How do I make this up to him?
I feel so bad
What doI do?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

He may have had the meds, but he didn't tell you to steal them. That was your choice. Try and make him understand that. If it hadn't been for his meds, you may have tried it another time. I don't know much about your story, how long you were addicted etc, but all of stories arevery similar. If I wanted to, I'm sure I could find plenty of people to blame for my addiction. But the bottom line is, no one forced them down my throat. That was my decision. If I didn't want them, no one COULD force me. I hope this helps. I'm very close to my sister, and yes, I've stolen meds from her. She has no idea that I'm an addict. I can't imagine not having her in my like. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You stay sober and continue to work on your recovery. That is the best gift you could ever give and the best amends you could ever make to him.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Marcus I agree with you that staying clean and sober will make the best amends- but you are talking about the long term here.
I know I must talk with him, so he knows that it isn't his fault and to assuage his fears.
But isn't there some sort of gesture, big or small that I can do right now in addition to all that?
I know you must be disgusted with me as I am disgusted with myself!
Can you suggest anything immediate?
Old 12-10-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had the necessary talk with him and explained how I feel, he was very emotional.and very happy. Since this is his favorite time of year I've decided to spend it with him, he really liked it when we went to a tree farm and cut down a tree, etc.
He says he forgives me, but I've never seen him so emotional