Notices

Around the Year With Emmet Fox - 6 December

Old 12-06-2011, 04:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Around the Year With Emmet Fox - 6 December

WAITING UPON THE LORD

Read Psalm 27 (again, - DT)

I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Here, the Psalmist once more makes it clear to his own mind that his reliance is indeed entirely upon the divine Power, and not upon his own limited intellect, or will power.

Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord
(Psalm 27:13-14)

The closing phrase is a powerful exhoration to be active and steadfast in prayer. To "wait upon the Lord" does not in the least mean neglecting a problem in the hope that God will come along and solve it for you. Waiting on the Lord means praying constantly and systematically about your problem. No particular form of prayer is essential, but prayer there must be; that is, the conscious dwelling upon the Being of God.

If your intuitive nature is well developed, you will seldom need to use formal statements. This is excellent - for who will trouble to climb a ladder when he is strong enough to leap over the wall? However, many people lose the ability to receive intuitional messages when worried or frightened. Then the ladder will probably be their salvation.

Nevertheless, it must not be overlooked that very many people do all their praying with formal statements of Truth, but no through repeating affirmations like a parrot. Those who work like a parrot inevitably make the parrot's demonstration - they remain in the cage. Of a good prayer who used the same phrases many times it was said by a friend: "He constantly uses the old affirmations, but he stuffs them with fresh feeling every time."