Notices

I think I have a problem and don't know what I should do

Old 12-05-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I have a problem and don't know what I should do

I'm not a daily drinker. I'm a binge drinker and have gone overboard several times lately and have not gone into work the next day. I can't let this ruin a great job and situation. I'm recently divorced and think not having my family around has given me a bit too much freedom to make bad decisions. When I over do it its usually when I'm having a really good time. At a football game. On a date with a new girl. I really like drinking and don't know if I could completely abstain. But I've proven several times now that I don't have much control over how much I drink when I get started. What do I do?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I suggest going to your Dr. and telling him/her about what's going on. I personally go to a counsler and log on to SR for support. Many people here go to AA and find that very helpful also. You have to find what works for you. Just try staying here and chatting with us for a few days, and I'm glad you found SR!

~Boz
Old 12-05-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome david2011 -

I think we can all relate to that "lack of control" once we start drinking. Even when I told myself I was only going to have X amount of drinks, I never really wanted to stop at that point and usually didn't.

It's a good thing that you're looking at your relationship with alcohol. Glad you're here!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by david2011 View Post
I'm not a daily drinker... I've proven several times now that I don't have much control over how much I drink when I get started. What do I do?
Quit drinking before you do become a daily drinker.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know how you feel Dave. Being a binge drinker doesn't necessarily lead to daily drinking. I'm only 29 and at one stage i probably drank everyday for about a month or so (post bar course -- go figure) Now, I'm at university & have been on holidays for >1 month with sweet F.A to do all day & i never have contemplated drinking anything but coffee or water. I simply don't believe one leads to the other in all cases. Just my 2c.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi David

If you try and you can manage to get your drinking under control - no problem.

If you can't, then you'll have to do what most of us did and consider that the problem is the first drink not the tenth one....and think about not having that first drink...

this is the place to be for that

D
Old 12-06-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The fact that you are posting here, and you say that you might have a problem, is a red flag. I would encourage you to stick around SR for awhile. I would also look back to see what actions you took while drinking (driving, etc). Did you make poor decisions? Good luck
Old 12-06-2011, 07:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I gave up drinking for good two years ago and don't miss it one bit. I hope we can help you as much as this site has helped me.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!

It might be helpful to get some counseling about your divorce. I can't imagine how difficult an adjustment that must be.

I do get how the thought of never drinking again is hard to accept. I can say that for me...I had a complete 180 and now can't imagine a life with alcohol. I don't feel like I am deprived...I feel like People who drink, even just a little, are the ones who are deprived.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarrenW View Post
The fact that you are posting here, and you say that you might have a problem, is a red flag. I would encourage you to stick around SR for awhile. I would also look back to see what actions you took while drinking (driving, etc). Did you make poor decisions? Good luck
Poor decisions is an understatement. Followed by a bit of self loathing. I had a DWI 6 years ago. I was driving the wrong way on a toll road that night. Fortunately no one got hurt but the possibilities still get to me. Staying in jail even just overnight without being able to see my wife and kids... I know it probably sounds like nothing compared to some but it was the worst thing ever. That's just the worst but there have been several other incidents that I won't forget and lately the frequency of close calls is just too high. It didn't have everything to do with it but I'm sure my drinking is partially to blame for my recent divorce as well. I was afraid to touch a drink for the longest time after that DWI but it didn't last obviously.

I'll be 35 now and feel like I should know better than this by now.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by david2011 View Post
What do I do?
dig in for a while and find out what you're dealing with. Maybe you have the ability to slow things down or stop all-together, maybe you don't. You're experience should tell you pretty clearly though, one way or the other.

And FYI, alcoholism has little to nothing to do with amounts or frequency of drinking. My sponsor's the real deal......full blown chronic alkie.....and he drank maybe 4 or 5x per year for his last couple years.

Sounds like you see some sort of problem.... hang around, ask questions, hit up the secular rooms, the christian rooms, the 12 step rooms........whatever. Find ppl who drank like you, who felt the same way you feel, but now they're past all that......they've "recovered"... and do what they did.