Notices

Girlfriend of a drug addict (help/advice)

Old 11-26-2011, 09:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Girlfriend of a drug addict (help/advice)

To start off I am new to this site and I would really appreciate some stories and advice of experience. I am in a committed relationship with an addict of drugs. Now all of this is very new to me and lately I have been feeling overwhelmingly isolated, I can't say that anyone in my life currently knows how I feel. I guess thats truly what led me here. My mom and I are close and I talk to her about everything but she doesn't seem to get that I just cannot leave him. I love him far to much to just drop him and move on. I also feel like I am walking on pins and needles constantly with my boyfriend, but I don't quite know why. I wish I knew how I could help him, he says me being there to support him is all he needs but I just feel like I'm a terrible girlfriend all the time for not knowing what to do or how to help him. He went away for inpatient for about 40 days and it was probably one of the most emotional things I have ever been through, all I could do is send letters. I thought all would be better when he got back 2 weeks ago but lately I still have trouble sleeping, focusing, and he seems more distant from me then ever. We have always been very close, before he'd left we would spend 4 out of the 7 days of the week together at the minimum now 1 or 2 days is extremely lucky. Sometimes I feel that he doesn't even love me anymore, when I bring it up he always reassures that he loves me more then anything. Are these feelings normal to be having or am I just way to overemotional about the whole situation? Any advice and experiences would be great and appreciated thanks.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Kay11))) - Welcome to SR, though sorry for what has brought you here.

You may want to check out this forum:
Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

It's for the people who love an addict. When I first got here, I read a gazillion posts and found out I wasn't alone. I'm also a recovering addict, and I can tell you that he needs support of other recovering addicts. If you've never been an addict, you aren't going to understand what goes on in his mind and you never will. I'm not saying you can't be there for him, that is up to you. After you read around at what others have or are going through, you'll have a better idea of what you're in for in loving an addict.

You'll also get lots of support for you.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-26-2011, 09:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Kay

You'll find a lot of support and advice here

Have you checked out our Family and Friends forums as well?
Impurrfects given you the link

You'll certainly find people down there who know what you're going through

D
Old 11-26-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, I'll be sure to look into the link. At this point, anything helps.

Also I'm very tech. disoriented and couldn't figure out were I was suppose to post things hah.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Kay))) - you did just fine, posting in newcomers - you are a newcomer, and that's where most people start

Hugs and prayers,

Amy