Notices

Introduction

Old 11-15-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduction

Hello,

I have 17 days today. I have been in/out of AA for a little over a year. My first attempt at recovery lasted 8 months, then I went out for a couple months. I came back and went 3 months, then went out for a couple days. This is my third attempt at recovery in the past 15 months, and I have learned alot. Firstly, this is a disease, secondly I can never underestimate it, and thirdly I have to have a god of my understanding. I was humbled this last time, I had to truly admit that I have a disease for which there is no cure. I think I have finally figured out what I need to do stay clean and sober...and doubled it! There is no other solution for me, and that was a hard fact to swallow about myself. At any rate, I just wanted to introduce myself and share my clean time.

Thanks,
cascade
Old 11-15-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've relapsed twice and I've been going to AA no matter what during the whole ordeal. It's been about 7 months of that. It's a struggle but little by little the obsession lessons even if I relapse. It's like learning any new skill. You mess up and get right back up and keep learning no matter what. This is about you and no one else. Keep going back, don't be afraid to go back no matter what. Even if it takes you 20 times, you will finally get it right. It took me 17yrs to learn how to become an alcoholic, I don't expect it will take 17 to stop but I don't expect to be what they call a "one chip wonder." ((Hugs))
Old 11-15-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"I think I have finally figured out what I need to do stay clean and sober...and doubled it!"

Love this. Congrats on the 17 days, Cascade!
Old 11-15-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job on the 17 days. I can relate, as I have relapsed several times since I started going to 12-step meetings in May of this year. The fact that you continued going to meetings, even during your relapses, bodes well for your recovery IMO.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your support. I am so glad I found this forum!
Old 11-15-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Cascade

Welcome to you too james27 - good to have the both of you with us

D
Old 11-15-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. So glad you joined us.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi cascade and welcome to the forum!

I went back to alcohol a couple times myself, thinking it would be different "this time." It never lasted, though. Sounds like you've come to that realization, too. Way to go on your 17 days - Great start!!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you are here cascade. It can be done. Be kind to yourself . Go to lots of meetings and read all things recovery. Best to you (())s Lushly
Old 11-16-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fortunately my job allows me to telecommute. Gonna hit a local nooner. I am so glad there are so many meetings in my local community. One more day!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Gratitude List for today 11/18/11:

Sobriety
Greater understanding of my HP
The Fellowship and the people I can count on in it
my family
dog
cat
job
my life
the upcoming holidays
Old 11-18-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR! Here's hoping that your sobriety will be long lasting this time.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm a little spiritually off center today. Thought I would post to get "back in the middle." My life is good, but I must say having a newborn, going back to work after being home for three weeks, and all that comes with not getting good sleep through the night can be trying. I feel blessed to have my child and wife in my life, but sometimes I get a little resentful about how much this new "blessing" demands of me. Then I remember what it says in the Big Book, "our purspose is to be of service to others.". I interpret that as being of service to my parents, newborn, wife, etc. Better to be of service to others than myself.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

you sound like an old pro. However, i'm afraid to agree with you. i think if I went back out, there is no guarantee that I'll be able to make it back.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

another week, really 7 days in a row. God willing I will have 30 days on the 29th of this month...a day at a time.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

17 days is AWESOME!! Congrats to you!!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

great going cascade

D
Old 11-23-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Went to a nooner today, figured I could use some extra support through the Holiday Season. I enjoy the holidays, but I am extra guarded about my sobriety right now. Like it says in the Big Book, "We have a daily reprieve based on our spiritual condition." I need my spiritual condition to be strong right now. I have alot of people depending on me, and if I don't take care of myself I have nothing to give others. I want to be the husband my wife deserves, the father my newborn deserves, but most important I want to know what my potential is. I've had alot of anger about family of origin stuff since my son was born, and I'm processing it with a professional outside of the program. I need to let go of these resentments....just not sure how yet. I know I have the choice to turn it over, but there is also a forgiveness component and some justifiable anger I need to work through/let go of.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cascade View Post
Hello,

I think I have finally figured out what I need to do stay clean and sober...
I strongly suggest you lose this thought. Abandon it, and find a recovered alcoholic to show you how they found the solution.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cascade View Post
I need to let go of these resentments....just not sure how yet. I know I have the choice to turn it over, but there is also a forgiveness component and some justifiable anger I need to work through/let go of.
You let them go by working the fourth and fifth steps and then moving on to surrender your defects, and making your amends. Again, find a recovered alcoholic to take you through the book.

Ah yes... Justifiable anger, the luxury of the normal man...