Notices

Back again... Doing it different this time!

Old 11-13-2011, 09:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again... Doing it different this time!

Hey guys!

I am checking back in really quick. I am still struggling finding the right way for me to stay sober (again), had 8 months back in 2010 and I really want to get back to this. It felt so good, but I can't seem to get more than a few days anymore. My life is a mess offering me plenty of excuses (or reasons, yeah... sure...) to drink, so it's hard.

I start outpatient detox today for a week with daily appointments and health checks. Plus, I'll be working with the staff there to find a way for me to stay sober. So yeah, I am actually getting help again. Newsflash: Looks like this thing is too complicated to manage on my own.

Of course there's therapy, group meetings and everything, but I always had a really hard time to get into that. I know, I have to step out of my own comfort zone... and I am willing to try things I previously said "no way again". That would include going back to one of the therapy programs on offer. This means I likely won't be able to start with the job training program I have planned for in March 2012, but who knows if I'd be able to pull that off as a drunk anyway.

The clinic also might have some medical studies for me to get involved, but I am waiting a few days (to clear my head) to make any decisions there.

Anyway, back to cleaning the appartment to have a clean and safe place to spend for the next days.

It's so great to know SoberRecovery is always around to come back to, read and get inspiration! Thanks!

See you around,
aND
Old 11-13-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to see you back aND - and I'm glad to see you trying a load of new/old things
great stuff!

D
Old 11-13-2011, 11:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Awesome your back

I am in the same boat on my third relapse this year , but keep trying we can do this.

Good luck at the clinic thats a good step, myself I have been thinking of inpatient for myself. All I so know is we cant do it alone.

Love SR hug
Old 11-14-2011, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee74 and IndaMiricale!

Been an at the clinic this morning and got some meds I have to take three times a day to make sure I don't have any withdrawal symptoms. I am so tired because of them... I'd love to just sleep away, but I fear I may not be able to sleep during the night then.

Anyway, my blood results came back and they are good. Guess limiting myself to only drinking in the evening helped keeping them normal.

On Wednesday I have an appointment with the psychologist at the clinic and I hope we'll be able to find a solution for my future recovery. Also looking at options myself on the net. Not much else I can do as tired as I feel.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi all,

just thought I'd post another update on here. I am doing pretty good. It's the third day. It's the third time I am trying to stop alcohol with professional help. I had two inpatient detox stays before and this time it's outpatient. The meds (Keppra and Tiaprid) I am taking are kinda strange, the first day I felt like I am trapped in a invisible cage. The doctor laughed when I told her about it yesterday and thought that was
a great way to describe what many people seem to feel with this stuff when they start taking it. I haven't noticed anything else yesterday or this morning, but we are already reducing the dosis as I have not been drinking that heavily lately.

Well, other than that... I am considering all kinds of ways to stay sober after detox. Today is going to be busy as I am going to speak to the psychologist of the clinic to see where I could possibly go for rehab. Afterwards I am seeing the study doctor as they are doing a study with Baclofen. It's a 3 month study, half the group gets Baclofen the other half a Placebo and they are checking if Baclofen helps people staying sober. I thought it sounds interesting and I am also interested in some additional medical attention (They are doing all kinds of checks to your brain, blood tests, etc.) for free, so I am likely going to take part - if they decide to pick me. It's not going to be only thing I'll do to stay sober though, I really want to make it work this time.

Alright, time to read some more posts on here and then I'lll head out for a morning run!

Talk to you soon,

aND