Notices

New Word for today and how it relates to my alcoholism

Old 11-13-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Word for today and how it relates to my alcoholism

DIDACTIC: a : designed or intended to teach b : intended to convey instruction and information as well as pleasure and entertainment <didactic poetry> 2: making moral observations.

Lots of people go through life trying to change others rather than themselves, or they think that since they themselves made a seemingly improvement to their life then everyone else needs to change. In AA meetings people tell didactic stories all the time. The stories are meant to teach others how to live a better life. When people share stories in this manner it helps the group maintain sobriety. Telling didactic tales in AA meetings also helps the story teller reinforce his or her own sobriety.

Didactic tales are great as long as they are coming from the heart, but on occasion I have observed individuals telling these tales in a rather pompous manner. It would be easy to simply dismiss that kind of individual as a white knuckler, but the reality of the situation is really more sinister. In reality, he or she is probably trying to deal with feelings of insecurity in ways that just aren't working. And he or she really needs help rather than more judgment. A person like that could be close to drinking again. A few kind words after the meeting could do wonders to help that individual along in their sobriety.

When people go to meeting with the purpose to help others along in their sobriety everyones life gets better. Often times, the one doing the helping for others is helping themselves along more because a lot of alcoholics suffer from feelings of inadequacy and a myriad of self esteem issues. Sometimes its easier to help someone else rather than ones self. SR forums can function in the same way.