Notices

Has anyone tried meditation as a form of recovery?

Old 11-10-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Has anyone tried meditation as a form of recovery?

I have been so stressed and tired lately, I was considering doing some sort of meditation to clear my mind and relax me, beacuse I honestly am ANTI anti-depressant. I need something to make me feel better that isnt in a pill form. Anyway, any suggestions, please feel free to comment. I am very curious about how that works. Have a great day SR.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've found meditation and relaxing exercises useful for relaxing - you can find quite a variety of guided meditations on the net.

I wouldn't say meditation alone helped me with my recovery though, or my depression comes to that.

I think a certain amount of stress and tiredness goes with the territory in early recovery, but I hope this helps

D
Old 11-10-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have used yoga for many years and been quite consistent with it. Meditation works well for me too, but I do neglect it at times. When I am feeling un-centered, it really helps. I do use antidepressants though. For me, they level the playing field.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Thanks I really think I need anti depressants but I dont have insurance
So im trying other alternatives
Old 11-10-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I try to do deep breathing and just repeating the word 'love" over and over again. It definitely helps calm me down. Exercise is also excellent for stress, depression, anxiety and fatigue.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, hope you can find some peace from the stress here. I was also very anti antidepressants, until I couldn't get off the couch and was crying every day. I was on for 2 years and now am off them for about a year. I finally started a meditation program this year. I started with 5 minutes once a day. Google "guided meditation", there are some great free sites with instruction and timed meditations.

Seriously, who doesn't have 5 minutes in a day to take some care of themselves . I had to convice myself to take time for me. I now try to do 10min twice a day. Does it remove all of my anxiety? No. Does it help? YES!

I great resource that I read, and re-read, is "When Things Fall Apart" by Pema Chodron. I've found many of her books helpful.

I wish you peace
Old 11-10-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I use it daily and find it helps me a lot with my anxiety issues.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would do some local research on a good accurpuncturist and some meditation or yoga.
The accupuncture totally helped me, I too did not want to take anti-depress. Just my experience though
Old 11-10-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dom what I do to relax is close my eyes and breathe in very evenly and deeply while I count to ten in my head, till my lungs are totally full of air, then breathe out the same way, over and over and very slowly and calmly. If you keep doing it for a few minutes patiently it will make you feel very peaceful.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The Incessant Conference In my Head..........Causes Me to be Anxious.

My Meditation is to just say to it ...........STOP

Peaceeeeeeeeeeeeeeee for awhile anyway.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Thank all of you for your input. It is sincerely appreciated.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dom,

I do this! It's "part of" my recovery tools - a very good addictions/recovery doctor told me "relax the body first...and the mind will follow" - and he's right. He said alot of people try to relax the mind first and then get frustrated. He strongly advocates taken even 15 minutes a day to do this for yourself. It works for me
Old 11-10-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Clear mind meditation helps me. Being able to sit with a still mind has a rejuvenating effect. I highly recommend this type of meditation.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

To remain in a stable enough mental state so that my mind doesnt start to wonder towards alcohol i have to take care of my mental health, physical health, and spiritual health. spiritual health doesnt have to mean religious practice- it just means feeling connected to things and being amazed and in wonderment of the world around us. i do something for each of them everyday even if it is somethign minor. and they affect each other too; sometimes getting physical excercise helps to reduce stress as much as or more than other things. I do use zen meditation sometimes when i feel that it would benefit me. Good luck to you )
Old 11-10-2011, 09:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It is part of the 11th step.