Notices

October sober folks

Old 11-05-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

October sober folks

Oct 18 for me & still sober. I am homebound on Saturdays and hate it. My husband just went to the noon mtg & I am feeling sorry for myself which is silly as I have mounds of bills to pay on the table and am still in my bathrobe. But since poor-me's are deadly for me, i thought i'd post something.

I got sober in Feb 1997 until I made a cameo appearance in drinking in late Sept. this year after a 2 1/2 year stint of Undiagnosed bipolar disease. That is getting better but had worse consequences than my drinking. Fit of suicidal rage & drank for 3 weeks. My 20 + year sober husband didn't even catch on for 2 weeks, I guess because sometimes one cannot see what is unexpected. Same true for me when my brain went haywire! I was working for 5, ebullient, funny ( they say), albeit eccentric professional, then really destructive mania falling into 2 year depression after 12 years sober. Had no idea. Made some whacked decisions and booted from my career & my sanity at 49. I am just getting some acceptance on the whole deal and realizing that sometimes one just gets blindsided with disaster. I am not special.

Thing is there is a lot to be said for the habit of sobriety and a lot to fear from the breach of it. I got off easy with the slip as I never drove or left the house if I drank. Also, I just don't have a life much right now and what I have is totally built around sobriety. But the elation/ relief/ joy of my original start in sobriety & AA is not there. The cravings were big as all outdoors which wasn't. true in 1997. So I am grateful for the experience of 14 1/2 years of not drinking & not wanting it so I know that it is temporary. Been to tons of meetings & my friends have been great.

Any other October

Last edited by Spiderkitty; 11-05-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Typo of the analog generation
Old 11-05-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sober folks out there ?
Old 11-05-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yeah I've been sober since October 11th
This is my 1000th attempt to get it right, my biggest record is 10 weeks sober, I hope this time it lasts forever, I'm trying to be really careful and I hope my motivation doesn't abandon me.
I'm working on establishing what thoughts drove me to relapse previous times and trying to get rid of them.
Basically, I'm learning to differentiate the mighty "alcoholic voice" from the real me. Whenever I recognize a thought as produced by this "alcoholic voice", I let it go. I don't block it. I just affirm its existence and then softly let it go. Thus I avoid the delusion that the alcoholic in me is dead. The alcoholic is pretty much alive, it is the drunk that is no longer present.
Wish you the best of luck with your sobriety
Old 11-05-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Here is a whole bunch of October quitters!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...11-pt-3-a.html
Old 11-05-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes SpiderKitty and WhenArtDeparts, you should come join our group at the link BikeGuy posted. We've got a real interesting group of people who quit in October, and we have a great time checking in with each other every day. Come join us! I decided to quit drinking October 9th.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks deserto, being an online moron, I failed to see it just right there! And, it is a great bunch!
Old 11-05-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're not a moron SK - we just move the monthly threads to the other forum when they get too big

You'll find a lot of support there - you too w.a.d.

D