Notices

question out of curiosity

Old 11-05-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

question out of curiosity

I'm curious about something. I've read a lot of posts where people say they would drink before work, at work, etc. I never got to the point of physically doing that. Although I have arrived at work still drunk from the night before and smelling like I just stepped out of a bar. But I never had the desire to drink before work or at work. Or maybe I was too scared of losing my job.

So I'm curious.....how did you do it without getting caught? Or were you so far along in the addiction that the consequences of getting caught didn't register? I'm just trying to wrap my brain around this thing we call alcholism and do not mean for this post to sound judgemental. I would like to consider it as a learning tool for others.

Thanks for reading.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A few times I would bring a commuter mug full of vodka and diet coke. Sip on it during the day. Like most alkies, I thought no one could tell that I was acting weird. Most of the time, though, I would work at home and just drink all day and not answer the phone.

Stupid. I never got "caught" in the sense that I was not called out specifically for drinking, but I lost business and clients and ultimately that job.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would set a travel coffee mug (with lid on) or a water bottle on my computer tower under my desk, when I needed to fuel my fix I would take a drink or two. I wouldn't say I was ever drunk at work but kept enough in my system to stave off withdrawal during my work hours. Breath mints and antacid were pretty much my food at the end of my drinking days. Breath mints to mask the booze smell and the antacid to attempt to keep it down.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I never drank at work either, but I did drink before work often.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I didn't really care about getting caught, and I don't know if I fooled anyone. I work for a large corporation, and it's actually against corporate policy to send someone home under the suspicion of being drunk. The only way they can talk to you about being intoxicated is if you are actually being a danger to yourself or others.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by keithurbanfan View Post
So I'm curious.....how did you do it without getting caught? Or were you so far along in the addiction that the consequences of getting caught didn't register?
Something certainly didn't register. Even the dullest knife in the drawer knows they need money to buy alcohol, so if you are drinking at work, thereby jeopardizing your ability to buy alcohol in the first place, then YES, YOU ARE INDEED "THAT BAD," BUT IT WILL GET WORSE IF YOU DON'T QUIT !!!
Old 11-05-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

The only time I drank when at work was years after I retired from the military and had a civilian job and went to lunch with the owner. I would have two beers then and that was it. My drinking then was a 12 pack a night and my day drinking didn't start until I needed one in my coffee to get steady, and that was only a year before I retired to drink full time. I also kept beer at work for 5 PM. I had a problem after my first retirement at 45. So I didn't have to work for the money later, I did it for the fun.

And no, you also don't have to be the sharpest knife in the drawer to realize that some of us are set for life at an early age. Later I will add my SS etc as well. My home etc. is paid for and my marriage of 39 years intact and strong.

So even with my supply of alcohol and smokes set to be able to quietly drink myself to death, I chose not to.

It is in each of our best interests to quit at whatever age we realize we can't stop.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I never drank before or during work. It was always on days off or after work. It was never even an option, as I am sure it would mean an instant end to the job. I am grateful for stopping, who knows what would have happened down the road if I continued on my previous path. Maybe it would get to the point where alcohol was more important than having money for my car, food and other bills. Glad I don't have to find out.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I drank before work frequently. Just to get rid of the shakes. I only drank during the work day when the world cup was on and I'd go to a bar to watch a game.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I did get caught, three times.There have been many more times that i have not gotten caught. I have my own office and sometimes an hour or two will go by and I wont have to interact with my coworkers. And the last time i was caught was when i was talking on the phone to a friend and she knew so she called my sponsor who came and got me out of there. The last time i immediately went to rehab, did three weeks outpatient. Stayed sober for nearly two months and went right back to my occasional drinking at work.
Sick. reading what i wrote, I was sick.