lonely daughter of an aclcoholic mother

Old 11-02-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

lonely daughter of an aclcoholic mother

so where do i begin.. my mother has been an alcoholic for about 3 years now. we dont talk about anything but her. when someone trys to talk she gets mad and interupts by saying no one listens to her and she never gets to talk. the only thing she ever talks about is work or complains about my stepdad or anyone else that annoyed her that day.

before she became an alcoholic we talked and hung out and everything but now we cant stand to be in the same room together and if we are we argue about everything.
shes always complaining about what i dont do she never says hey you did a good job at this or anything.
its really stressfull and over time i just start to feel like a burden. all of my brothers (3 of them) are as good as gold but not me. i try to ignore it but theres only so much i can ignore without feeling like crap.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Buckhunter, so sorry for everything you are going through!

You have come to the right place, lots of good listeners here, many folks who have been through the same thing you are going through now.

My mom has been an alcoholic for over 40 years, I am 49, she has become exponentially self-absorbed over the years, she calls her friends and family to talk about herself and then gets off the phone when it's their turn to talk

My moms relationship has always been more strained with my little sister than me, she always got along better with my dad, daddy's little girl I guess.

Have you tried al-anon or talked to your dad or another family member, can you get into couseling through work or school?

Please remember that none of this is your fault, you did not cause it and you cannot fix it!

I know it sucks to have someone important to you running you down all the time, especially when you have siblings that can do no wrong!

Please come here often, I will be happy to listen, if you are not comfortable talking in the public forum you can send me a private message.

Best of luck to you,

Bill
Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Buckhunter, you need to post under ACOA, you will meet many folks walking the same road.

God bless,

Bill
Old 11-02-2011, 10:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, sounds a lot like my mother was. Hang in there and get the support you need.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((buckhunter))

i hate so much you are in such an unhealthy situation - i don't know your age but if you can there is great help in the programs of Alateen & Al-anon that help with dealing with alcoholic family members.

Remember, my friend - this is NOT about YOU

You didn't cause it
You can't control it
You can't cure it

Please keep reaching out for help, posting here and taking good care of YOU!!!

PINK HUGS,
Rita