Notices

New to the board

Old 11-02-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the board

Hey guys and girls I wanted to say hello and how happy I am to have found this site. I am not certain I was a full blown alcoholic but I was on my way. I was once a healthy, well grounded athlete. Since I turned 21 almost 10 years ago this disease has snuck up on me. I started being a weekend binge drinker, drinking every friday and saturday until I could hardly walk. As years went on I started to consume beer and wine on weeknights. I used to enjoy playing sports, working out, hunting, fishing, reading and living a healthy life style. These past three years I was consuming 6-7 beers 3-5 nights a week. All my friends and social activities began revolving around alcohol. In May of this year I made the worst decision of my life and cheated on my long term girlfriend while severely intoxicated. I have always been known for my will power and this was the straw that broke my back. The guilt, anxiety, and stress led me to drink almost every single night that I was not working. Id wake up and feel the guilt again and continue the cycle. I went from having a 6 pack abs to drinking a 12 pack and losing everything I worked so hard for. I lost interest in every hobby I once had.

At my yearly doctors check up my doctor was concerned because of some irregularities in my blood work. Low protein in my blood a common sign of liver and kidney damage. I also came down with a fungal infection which could be attributed to my new, horrible habit. I decided enough was enough, I stopped drinking this Saturday. Already on day 4 I feel more clarity and healthier. I resumed working out and eating right.

I hope to gain some input from you all.

Thanks,
Old 11-02-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
MINEr

Welcome to SR, and congrats on your newfound sobriety. If you find yourself struggling, I highly reccomend outside support groups such as AA, they do help, even if it is just for a weekly headcheck. Good luck!!!

camedown
Old 11-02-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Welcome to SR!!! You will find so much help and support here. Just keep posting and congrats for staring recovery...
Old 11-02-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello, back! And welcome.

You'll find lots of long-term sobriety and support here. Many of us are overcoming alchol. You're not alone.

Post as often as you like, and best to you.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi there, welcome to SR. I'm new around here also. I'm a recovering alcoholic on day 8 after a one night blackout binge after 28 months of being sober. Good to meet you.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm new here as well and your story is so close to mine. I'm a bit younger than you, but I know what it's like to look at yourself in the mirror and realize how much you have changed and how much you miss how you used to be. Good luck brother
Old 11-02-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey, welcome to SR! You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders, and you are off to a good start - keep it up! And don't keep beating yourself up for what you did when drinking....what is done is done. Congratulations on 4 days!
Old 11-02-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hey Regrets - wonderful to have you with us. This is the best place ever for encouragement and support. We've all been where you have and understand what you're going through.

I know what you mean about the guilt. That's what kept me in a vicious cycle for years. A friend here set me straight about that - and made me realize I didn't want to spend the rest of my life reliving something I could never change. We never have to go back to that awful place, though! Congratulations on your Day 4.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Regrets528

Alcoholism really is progressive - and insidious with it.
You've made a great decision - congratulations on your 4 days

D
Old 11-02-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, regrets and congrats on 4 days! That's about the time I started feeling pretty good, too. It gets better though, so keep it up, one day at a time!
Old 11-02-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm on day 4 also and already feeling better, it's amazing what less than a week can do. Imagine how great we will feel in a month or a year! Keep at the sobriety, it sounds like you are strong minded and know what kind of life you want to live. It's weird how I have never felt this sure about quitting drinking before, it's like I had to go thru all the bad things in order to get to this point. Try not to be so hard on yourself, you're right where you're supposed to be
Old 11-02-2011, 09:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR and congratulations on your sobriety!

There's a ton off support here and lots to learn. Keep posting and reading, we are all here for each other.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm on day 5 and it's amazing how much easier it is to keep your mind and emotions on track without alcohol. I am starting to put the guilt aside and realize my one idiot decision could have cost me alot. Does anyone have any advice or tips on dealing with guilt? Usually the second I'd feel it kicking in I'd grab a drink and drink until it was gone.