Notices

strange pains

Old 10-29-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

strange pains

hi guys,
i was looking for some help with drinking on google and found you.
It all seems very interesting and encouraging.
I am 4 weeks sober. Have not found it very hard not to drink actually i feel absolutely no need at the moment. I am happy that I was able (am able) to cope and not to drink for so long-4 week is very long in my case as even 4 days was a success before. Some times I have strange pains in hands and joints can these be abstinent syndroms? Also a lot of headake a feel dizzy sometimes but not very often it started last week. I am a bit worried how will i cope once i get to the very stressful routine i was before - have quite a stressful job and i tend to be very anxious about things which makes things worse. I am now having 3 months break and trying to use it to get better and stop drinking.
Well I was drinking for about 8 years and now i hate the idea of getting drunk really am vorried that it will not last and i will relapse.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Ellen

None of us are Drs so it's impossible to say for sure whether these things are related to you're stopping drinking or not - although I daresay most of us have experienced things similar.

Why not see you Dr and get checked out - at least you can set your mind at ease?

congratulations on 4 weeks. I think support is vital when dealing with stress in early rcovery so I'm glad you've joined us

I wouldn't worry too much right now - there are other more positive ways to deal with stress
D
Old 10-29-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on stopping drinking!

As Dee said, do talk to your dr about your health concerns.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job on the 4 weeks and welcome to Sober Recovery!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Ellen!

After getting sober, I found it much easier to deal with stressful situations (work, financial pressure, being a single mom, etc.)...... hopefully you'll find the same is true for you, too.

Glad you're here and congratulations on 4 weeks of sobriety - that's awesome!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

congrats!

drink more water. are you exercising? using too much computer or cell phone while on break?

call doctor & get checked!
Old 10-29-2011, 10:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR and congrats on 4 weeks!

Not sure about your pain, you probably want to see a dr.

I hope you stick around and post more of your story!
Old 10-30-2011, 04:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Ellen, glad you posted. I've had lots of strange pains both on and off drinking and the doctors haven't been very helpful. It could be withdrawal or it could be anxiety. If you've had no severe symptoms I wouldn't worry too much. Did you get help with stopping? You've done well so far so don't give up x
Old 11-01-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for responding to my post. I am very happy that I found you. It feels so good to be supported.
I have not consulted doctor with the pains as it all stopped. But as well, I did not really talk about these things to doctors as they do not really know about this problem, and I feel ashamed about it.
I did not get so far professional help, but my husband is very supportive he is amazing and is helping me a lot and understands these things probably because he had similar problem 15 years ago but was more into weed and speeds. He stopped in detox centre and then had home treatment and visited therapist for about a year a since he has never done things again. Well he told me that I may have physical abs syndrome and mental - I have nightmares and very strange dreams very often now but it is in my case routine as i had them since childhood (not so much )and sort of learned how to cope with them.
i am still coping not drinking it is not so difficult as i do not need to use it as coping mechanism at the moment, today i had a bit stressful day and i an idea of a drink crossed my mind but i know this would just make things worse.
I also wanted to ask you guys about the difference between alcoholic and drinker.
Well, I believe I am an alcoholic and it started 8 years ago. I have memories from that time sitting in a bar and wanting another drink I felt that it will really make me happy to get another and this continued all night and on leaving the pub looking for a shop still opened to get a bottle. this happened very often and was coping mechanism as i lost my most loved person and found it very hard to cope without sedating myself somehow. I am not trying to make excuses for my behaviour and i think that it would probably happened for some other reason if the person had not died. But it started this way. Later on with time I somehow recovered but carry on drinking as i had/ have stressful job and if I did not have streses i drink out of joy or boredom. I was a secret white vine drinker and apart from my husband not a lot of people knew (at least I think so / hope so). One of my friends thinks that once i learn how to cope with negative situation better without alcohol I will then be able to drink socially ( I do not believe it even if I really could do it just on Christmas and Easter sometimes my Birthday but just a glass and it was ok) I also saw discussion here on this web about it basically that pickel cucomber will never become a cucomber again, and I believe it. I feel the compulsive element in my drinking - the urge to drink more and more not caring how horribly will i feel next morning. I ordered the book beyond the influence and looking forward to reading it.
What do you guys think about the role of genetics in alcoholism some say that it all is circumstantial and also depends on personality. Can it be due to genetics that some people become alcoholic and some no? My father is an alcoholic his brother as well and so was they farther- my grand dad. My older brother has drinking problem as well so my cousins and farther's sister's daughter so all of us have the problem only my Mum and family from her side would probably never get drunk she is very strong and also perhaps not genetically affected by that. I must metioned that no of them - the alcoholic members in our family got real support and understanding from wives and children. I also did not understant my dad when i was younger- hated drinks and swore i will never ever drink and here I am!!!So i wondering if the tendency to drink can be heritable or is created by the person and the persons environment. A lot of thoughts and questions go through my head but after 4 weeks i can finally at least imagine myself not drinking again before I could not imagine it at all. I the not drinking is for life and it is difficult journey which i am only starting.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ellen

Glad you posted again

I definitely believe pickles can't be cucumbers again - and if you think you're a cucumber then you'd be the best judge of that

I don't know that there's a simple answer to the genetics vs environment question - some people here have no history of drinking in their family, others like me have lots.

I think if I was a betting man I'd say it's probably a little of both for most of us?

D
Old 11-02-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Ellen, So glad that you have a supportive husband who can help you. re the genetics thing I'm not sure if it's a gene or behaviour thing. All my family are big drinkers but just don't see it as a problem as I do. I have always thought my drinking was a problem but just never stopped it so yes, I've come to realise that quitting completely is the only option. My mother, who drinks nearly as much as me occasionally quits completely to loose weight as she says she can't control it, one drink leads to another! I thought I didn't believe in addictive personalities either but looking back on my life I see so much evidence for it that it's hard to deny. Some people may be able to do occasional drinking but only you can figure out if you're one of them, Best of luck xxx
Old 11-02-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Ellen,

Congratulations on your 4 weeks sober! (I wish I could have said my first 4 weeks were not difficult...) Keep your guard up though - you know how it works. Have you thought about some support besides your husband? That may be a good idea. Even reading some good books about alcoholism would be a good idea, if you have time to read right now.

Keep posting! You will find a lot of support and encouragement here. Take care.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Guys,

thanks a lot for all responses.
Well, I think I am a pickle not a cucumber anymore and need to stop drinking for good.
Someone mentioned in this web that occasional drinking after recovery is only temporary and never brings permanent results and most of people eventually return to the old drinking pattern. The same pays for me. I remember that 4 years ago i stopped for 4 months mostly because I wanted to lose on weight before my wedding, I did quite well and after i had lost some weight I decided to have an "occasional drink" which at the beginning was 1-2 beers or 1-2 small glasses of vine, once a week, in about a month it was a bit more frequent like 1-3-4 glasses 3 times a week and so on in 3 months I ended up having a bottle a day sometimes 2 bottles exactly as before ( big bottles 700ml ) ended up with even more sometimes... so gone are my old almost sober days when i drunk only little on Christmas and Easter and birthday and was fine with it. No I am not able to drink socially as I am compulsive and always feel the need to have more ..one more glass.. one more glass etc.
Just do not really understand why some people develop dependency and some can get drink but are not dependent. It may be depends on how sensitive or emotional the person is, on personality basically.