Notices

How long have you gone between meetings?

Old 10-28-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long have you gone between meetings?

?
Old 10-28-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I went about 3 months without going to meetings. It happened between my 6 and 9 month sober mark. I also was not able to meet with my sponsor or be connected to the program in any meaningful way. At the time, i was in the midst of my 4th step.

At the end of those 3 months, i was nothing short of stark raving sober. While it is not an experience i wish to have again, I became desparate enough to seek out meaningful guidance in the steps from someone with experience, strength and hope to share until i was able to return to meetings and my sponsor. This was my lowest point, my jumping off place. Not the last day i drank.

i am grateful that i remained sober. And i am grateful for reaching a point that i was desparate enough to grab hold of the steps with the desparation of a drowning woman. It allowed me to fully surrender to God and the program. And i am grateful to those who helped me climb back, by somewhat gently guiding me and teaching me.

I love my meetings, I have strong AA in my area, they are solution based. It was not, i don't think, so much my time away from meetings that drove me so insane. It was my total disconnection with the program. Today i believe i could go without meetings if i had to, and be okay. However, i love my Fellowship, and feel blessed to be a part of it. It is one side of our triangle.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

3 days. AA saved my life, I owe it to the newcomer to be there. I also have been working the steps since day 14. I waited in the past and ended up drinking. No need to live in misery while sober!

I've seen too many relapse while stopping step work, especially between steps 4 and 9.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

This time -- I think the longest without a meeting is about a week.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Me too. I need a refresher at least once a week otherwise I start to forget how I got here in the first place.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My longest is a week. I was ill and i completely isolated. I was miserable, not because of the lack of meetings but because had i been working my program, I'd have called some friends to come over and cook me dinner etc. So it was the complete absence of a program that made me a bit of a wreck. I used to go to meetings to keep me sober. Now i go to be with my family. In other words, i enjoy them now and there are a few a week that i couldn't bear to miss. But I'm curious: why are you asking this question?
Old 10-28-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
My longest is a week. I was ill and i completely isolated. I was miserable, not because of the lack of meetings but because had i been working my program, I'd have called some friends to come over and cook me dinner etc. So it was the complete absence of a program that made me a bit of a wreck. I used to go to meetings to keep me sober. Now i go to be with my family. In other words, i enjoy them now and there are a few a week that i couldn't bear to miss. But I'm curious: why are you asking this question?
Meeting based sobriety is very popular where I reside. So, I was inquiring about folks on here.

I will add that popularity is very ineffective where I reside.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

popularity is not a good program of recovery anywhere

I found out in 1987 meetings will not keep me sober or sane
I make about 2,maybe 3 a month
I am gone all week and home on the weekends so it is hard to get to a meeting.If I was home all week,I would go more,I like my AA buddies and besides,it is a good place to find newcomers and do service work.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

3 months...i wouldn't recommend it...
Old 10-29-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awakening...

I go six days without a meeting since I go to one meeting a week. This is one reason I wish I didn't have such a long work commute.