Notices

What a night!

Old 10-26-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What a night!

Whew! Okay I've had times where I've given up drinking and then that night got the sweats but last night was extreme!
I woke up several times, shivering, completely covered in sweat, it actually felt as if I had taken a shower and then rolled into bed and then covered up!

Has anyone ever had this? Today is day 3 for me!

Also does anyone know of healthy ways to help your body detox? I don't have the shakes, nervousness, depression. I do have cravings in the night when I get home when I used to start drinking but that is it. Oh and irritability.
I drink tons of water already (8 to 10 glasses a day), I take Milk Thistle (which OOPS I need to take!), a take a multi stress vitamin with Vitamin B mixture, along with a slew of other things for cardiovascular health.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

This is no medical advice,the cold sweats are pretty common, I had them too during the first days of sobriety- they'll go away as your body finishes detoxing. As long as you don't experience any withdrawal symptoms that require immediate medical attention, best is to give your body just the time it needs to do this. Have you talked to your GP about your drinking problems ands your detox? If you already take medication for a heart condition it's better to be extra precautious and get medical help for this. (If all this is cleared up with your dr., ignore what I just said) In that case, stay sober, that's what counts! You can't really speed up this process.

Isotonic sports drinks are always a good idea to keep the body's electrolyte balance in check if you are really losing a lot of salt/minerals through sweating, but overall, your body just needs time and rest and it will take some days. Alcohol messes with your metabolism and brain chemistry, so disrupted sleeping patterns are also fairly common during the first weeks.
Good luck and all the best,
Lionne
Old 10-26-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
cb1

i agree with Lionne, I have heard drinking sports drinks (gatorade, allsport) can be very helpful!!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
MINEr

Sweats are very common, and probably a good sign that you might want to check out seeing a doctor before the more severe withdrawal symptoms might kick in, like shakes, hallucinations, and seizures. Alcoholic withdrawal can be fatal, mine probably would have if I wasn't in the ICU. Good luck.

camedown
Old 10-26-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Too much water is bad. As a drinker you are already low on various elements and water does nothing to replace them. Try some fruit juices or gatorade.

The "you need 8 glasses of water a day" is a myth by the way: snopes.com: Eight Glasses of Water a Day Myth
Old 10-26-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have detoxed on my own a couple times and it is very scary. Heart racing, crazy sweating, weird shaking, and the worst of all is the inability to sleep. Even when I manage to get a few minutes/hour of sleep I have horrible nightmares that my girlfriend will usually have to wake me from, because I'm shaking/saying things in my sleep.

I would choose the Dr... lol
Old 10-26-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had terrible night sweats. I mean, I was soaked and slimy from head to toe when withdrawing, which in my case was a weekly occurence, as I drank every weekend. For me, it passed within a few days of the last drink.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The worst part to me (apart from almost dying everytime I'm sure)

Is feeling... greasy for the next two days or so. It's like I'm sweating out sugar or something... and I smell awful... my bed smells awful.

It's... insanity that I would do this to myself more than once!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 3 for me too, and I am experiencing the same thing. I'm tired as hell but I keep reminding myself that im getting better.

Great suggestions on the sport drinks guys, I have been drinking plenty of water too, ill switch to some fruit juice or something.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by munchkin05 View Post
Whew! Okay I've had times where I've given up drinking and then that night got the sweats but last night was extreme!
I woke up several times, shivering, completely covered in sweat, it actually felt as if I had taken a shower and then rolled into bed and then covered up!

Has anyone ever had this? Today is day 3 for me!

Also does anyone know of healthy ways to help your body detox? I don't have the shakes, nervousness, depression. I do have cravings in the night when I get home when I used to start drinking but that is it. Oh and irritability.
I drink tons of water already (8 to 10 glasses a day), I take Milk Thistle (which OOPS I need to take!), a take a multi stress vitamin with Vitamin B mixture, along with a slew of other things for cardiovascular health.

Any suggestions?

I would talk to your doctor for those questions. Detox sucks. Very dangerous and scary.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think seeing a Dr is always good, especially if you have questions or concerns
You might find some suggestions here too.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

D