Notices

Good meeting topics?

Old 10-21-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good meeting topics?

Just curious. My favorite meeting topic was when the chairperson asked us to read our favorite passage in the BB and talk about it. It was cool to hear everyone relate the parts that made sense to them or helped them or whatever.

I chair a discussion meeting once or twice a week and my ego worries a lot about what the topic should be. I usually end up just reading a passage or two of the book that jump out at me that day. What do others do?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LawMama View Post
... and my ego worries a lot about what the topic should be.
Maybe you can take your ego out of it and let the format be decided by the group conscience. My experience is that meetings without a set format, or where the format is left open for general discussion about whatever, tend to go south in a hurry. A good format makes or breaks a meeting.

Picking a topic out of the the BB, and having members share their experience whit topic can be a great format.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

a old timer from Fla gave me a bag of stones once.
I asked him what it was,he said,meeting topics
I looked inside the bag and written on each stone was a topic,a step,a tradition,or just a topic at random like surrender,acceptance,prayer,ego,etc
You reach in,pull out a stone,and share your esh on that word written on the stone,you keep the stone when you are finished,and pass the bag to the one sitting beside you so everyone shares on a different topic.They do the same.When the meeting is over,pass the basket,collect the stones,and return them to the bag.This makes for a very good meeting where everyone hears a lot of esh on different topics.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

bballdad, that is a great idea.

keithj, the format is decided by the group conscience. For discussion meetings, the chair picks a topic. Can't use unapproved literature....that's pretty much the only limitation on topics. Some people use the daily reflections, As Bill Sees It, etc. and others stick to the BB.

I don't know if it is my ego as much as a sense of responsibility to have something picked out to read or whatever at the beginning of the meeting. So I was looking for ideas from others on this forum as to what parts of the book or approved literature have led to good discussions.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

At my home group we sometimes use a method similar to bballdad's. We've got a tin of popsicle sticks with words relating to AA and recovery written on them. Each meeting leader does it differently - some have every person pull a stick and share on their stick and some pull one stick and that's the topic. Interestingly enough, it' s amazing how many people say "I can't believe I pulled this stick. I was going to bring a topic up that relates to this!". It's a God thing, as they say. They aren't used too often even though the majority of our meetings are open discussion meetings.

If I lead a meeting and no topic is brought up I often refer to a daily reading from the Daily Reflections or Twenty-four Hours a Day. In our meeting leader book there's a big list of topics, in the past I have closed my eyes and run my finger all over the page then stopped on a word, and that was a topic. Usually though, I try to come prepared with something. Again, my fall back is the Daily Reflections or 24-hr Day. Often times though, I've just been working on a step with a sponsee so it's on my mind to talk about. Some of my sponsee's ask me tough questions! I LOVE that.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I love the topic of Gratitude.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

At certain times I have no effective mental defense.

Third Step Arrangement.

Selfishness, self-centeredness is the root of my problem.

I must be rid of self or it kills me.

Fear-Courage...Men of faith have courage they trust their God.

8th step-Most important word is "all."

What was it like to enter the world of the Spirit?

10th Step is about the line of the will.

Talk about your new 6th Sense.

Meditation.

Evening Review.

Or anything in italics typically makes a nice topic.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Paperdoll,I have the same experience,people say they heard excally what they think they needed to hear
Old 10-21-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bballdad View Post
Paperdoll,I have the same experience,people say they heard excally what they think they needed to hear
But if my main problem centers in my mind then does it matter what I/they think they need?
Old 10-22-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

yes I believe it does-if you say something,and it gets me closer to God,then I needed to hear excally what you said when you said it-God`s perfection and my imperfection

sometimes God speaks thru others to me,sometimes thru my life`s experiences

when I get it,then I`ll know I needed it

from step 11
that we be given whatever we need to take care of such problems.

my big book does not specify where,or whatever it is we get, is given from-
be it from God to my mind,other people,or my life`s experiences
Old 10-22-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Our meetings are open discussions. The chair picks a person to select a reading from our bag of approved literature. The vast majority of the time, it comes from the Big Book.

I will say, from a personal standpoint, i really do not care for it when the topic comes from Daily Reflections. Fortunately, in my meeting, on the rare occasion that happens, most of us steer our shares to the parts o the big book that relate to whatever topic can be found in that reading.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

a sponsee was here at my house today and we read over the Dr`s Opinion and discussed it.One thing jumped out at me and I never heard this brought up in a meeting.

Later, he requested the privilege of being allowed to tell his story to other patients here and with some misgiving, we consented. The cases we have followed through have been most interesting: in fact, many of them are amazing. The unselfishness of these men as we have come to know them, the entire absence of profit motive, and their community spirit, is indeed inspiring to one who has labored long and wearily in this alcoholic field. They believe in themselves, and still more in the Power which pulls chronic alcoholics back from the gates of death.

I believe "community spirit" would make a good topic.I might take it to a meeting also.

How about us as a group,do we display a community spirit to newcomers or others groups?
Do I ,as a individual ,display the same spirit to other alcoholics or other groups?What can I do to improve?What does it take to have that community spirit?