Notices

Day 4

Old 10-19-2011, 02:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4

Still doing OK and haven't had any huge urges to drink. I watched the 'Rain in my Heart' video which scared the hell out of me. There really is only one destination with this illness.

Sweated a lot less last night so I guess the toxins are almost gone.

I am trying not to get too confident - I haven't faced the weekend yet - and having been here before I know that it's easy to think that you've beaten this and then it all starts again. It has to be one day at a time.

I am focussing on the words 'you don't have to go through this again'.

I don't have the power to drink sensibly, but I do have the power to attempt to choose not to drink.

I always thought that a hangover was the price I had to pay to drink - it never occured to me that I could choose not to have a hangover by not drinking. That sounds dumb, but it is the truth. I always focussed more on having a drink, than the price I paid for it.

I'm focussing on wanting to be better more than wanting a drink now.

Hopefully, this train of thought will keep me going.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiger1 View Post
Still doing OK and haven't had any huge urges to drink. I watched the 'Rain in my Heart' video which scared the hell out of me. There really is only one destination with this illness.

Sweated a lot less last night so I guess the toxins are almost gone.

I am trying not to get too confident - I haven't faced the weekend yet - and having been here before I know that it's easy to think that you've beaten this and then it all starts again. It has to be one day at a time.

I am focussing on the words 'you don't have to go through this again'.

I don't have the power to drink sensibly, but I do have the power to attempt to choose not to drink.

I always thought that a hangover was the price I had to pay to drink - it never occured to me that I could choose not to have a hangover by not drinking. That sounds dumb, but it is the truth. I always focussed more on having a drink, than the price I paid for it.

I'm focussing on wanting to be better more than wanting a drink now.

Hopefully, this train of thought will keep me going.
Rain in the heart is an eye opener, watched it twice
Old 10-19-2011, 03:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Each day you wake up not having to deal with a hangover, give yourself praise for being so thoughtful\considerate the day before. Live your day with the promise to pay-it-forward, again and again.
Every day I have gotten better, simply because I cared for myself yesterday and will do the same today.

Edit: I've seen that documentary as well, very true and sad.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am focussing on the words 'you don't have to go through this again'

That was/is a biggie for me since going thru w/d over and over really wore me out.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on day 6 Tiger and feel fantastic. The sun is shining and I feel really optimistic and no urges today. I'm glad you're here and thanks for the mention of the film as I haven't seen ity.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. Makes me feel better to not be alone with this.

Feeling a bit nervous now as we've been invited to 'drinks' and fireworks next week at someone's house. They are a parent from one of my kids' new schools.

I dread this type of thing - I can say I am driving etc., but I just know I'll be wearing a tense face and be awkward, partly because I'm a little shy but mainly because I'll be avoiding the drink and I get that stupid notion that I am no fun without alcohol, or I look like I am having no fun. You know when you just want to look 'normal' and the harder you try the less 'normal' you look ?
Old 10-19-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by tiger1 View Post
There you go, that's the ticket. That's what they mean when they tell you to "play the tape forward". My first reaction whenever the thought of drinking comes into my mind these days is to automatically gravitate to the negatives: the hang over, the anxiety about having to hide it, the frustration of having to detox all over again, the shame. I know if I were to drink again I wouldn't even be able to enjoy it because of the overwhelming negatives.

Well done on 4 days, keep going!
Old 10-19-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job Tiger on day 4! Keep going....the rewards far outweigh any thoughts of drinking. You can do this and live hangover free everyday!

Best Wishes To You!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Hey tiger. Congrats on Day 4! Every day is a gift and I'm happy for you. Try not to worry so much about what's coming up this weekend or next week. Just focus on today and on doing the next right thing. I know the temptation to try and fit in, be "normal" (whatever that is), but I also know that when it comes to alcohol, I'm completely abnormal and I accept and embrace that (or at least, I try to). You CAN do this. Keep it up.

--Fenris.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I understand about the awkwardness. I'm not real social and its hard for me to feel like I fit in. I am much more talkative when drinking. I made it through last weekend and it wasn't near as bad as I feared.