Notices

Service Work In AA

Old 10-15-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Service Work In AA

Not sure if this is AA or the AA club service work but I will be volunteering to help clean up the all you can eat weekend breakfast at the local AA club. It's followed by a good speaker meeting as well. Of course, I will get a free breakfast also!
What do you guys do in terms of service work. I use to make coffee before a church meeting but quit when someone complained it wasn't strong enough.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
What do you guys do in terms of service work. I use to make coffee before a church meeting but quit when someone complained it wasn't strong enough.
First of all; Don't worry if people complain about the coffee. Some of them are just playing with your mind. Ask them to help you make coffee in the future and see how they respond. Most will laugh or run for the hills.

Second; Try going to meetings about 30 minutes early and offer to help wherever possible. I myself work a different schedule every week and can not commit to being anywhere two weeks in a row, so I simply go to meetings early or stay late to be of service.

Third; Try to carry a positive message to others on-line in these forums or others like it. The key word is try, don't worry about the results.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was taught service work is taking men and women through the Work...so that is what I do.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I use to make coffee before a church meeting but quit when someone complained it wasn't strong enough.
First thing to remember about service work in AA, if nobody complains, you didn't accomplish anything worthwhile.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awakening...

I could tell you what I do for service work but you would be in front of your computer for the rest of the day, LOL!
Seriously, I was told by my first sponsor, "Get a job (meaning in AA) and keep one always." I've done that and I'm still sober.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I look at all of it as 12 step work,fullfilling my purpose in soberiety.To be of maxium service to God and my fellows,inside of AA and especially outside of AA.i have been the intergroup delgate,alt GSR,GSR,chaired many meetings,made tons of coffee,swept floors,mopped floors,alt Grapevine rep,Grapevine rep,soonsorship chair etc.Sponsored alcoholics and 2 addicts.
I currently look after the meeting place drink machine for the owners of the buiding we meet in.I lke that job!
there is always something to do,and i am thankful for it.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by bballdad View Post
I currently look after the meeting place drink machine for the owners of the buiding we meet in.I lke that job!
there is always something to do,and i am thankful for it.
"There are no small acts of kindness in God's eyes".
(Mother Teresa of Calcutta)
Old 10-15-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

There are so many chances to do good....both in and out of AA
I find that works really well for me....and I can be an example of recovery in action..
Old 10-16-2011, 08:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Following the traditions, concepts, steps, principles the best I can in & out of aa rooms...progress, not perfection, no disgruntlement, acceptance & tolerance for people, places, things... If it needs to be done, it's not a big deal...
Old 10-17-2011, 03:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

I'm the secretary of my BB study HG.

On the upside-down pyramid, I think working one on one to carry the message is the highest form of service. I love to sponsor, and I love 12-stepping - those are my favorites. But I've also been blessed with some experience carrying the message through H&I and PI, from a couple of hospital toxicology units to a juvie group and another group for arrested drunk drivers set up by the state. When I first got sober, I also helped start the English speaking helpline and became the one responsible for holding/answering the phone. I was even asked to help edit translations of newer literature. I think there are plenty of opportunities at every level to be of service. It really is meaningful stuff, and it feels like such an honor when you're a part of it.

Service work is awesome. It's just important to remember that getting involved in service is not, as seems to be the case a bit too often, a substitute for step-based recovery.

Good on you for getting involved! It's a fantastic way of practicing selfless actions and becoming an active part of the fellowship. I hope you have a great time!

Much love,
SIU