Notices

Thanks, AA

Old 10-14-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
Thanks, AA

I can't prove it, but I am pretty damned certain going to an AA meeting last Saturday saved me from a potential relapse:

I've been sober for over 2.5 years. While I started out attending AA meetings, I never really did the Steps nor have I been to a meeting in ages.

Last weekend, I found myself in another foreign (N. Asian) city I hadn't been in since 2000. My memories were full of the heavy drinking that permeates the culture. I was on my own and travelling light. Then I got that 'spidey feeling' that I might be in trouble. Couldn't put a finger on it but looked up where I might find an AA meeting on a Saturday night. Found a good group of people who were positive motivated and supportive. Went out for fellowship later. Later as I lay crashed out in my hotel bed I realized I was pretty close to going out that evening and drinking. Maybe I would have kept it in check by myself however it felt a lot better going to a meeting.

tl;dr if you ever get a tingly sensation or gut feeling your sobriety might be in danger, listen to it! Doesn't matter how long you've been sober. Run, don't walk, to the nearest meeting.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It never has occured to me to leave AA....I do want to be one of those members who
were there to greet you...
Glad you remembered we are around the world..and you took action.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Consider working the steps....getting hooked up to that Power has proved more reliable than meetings to me.