Notices

One drink?

Old 10-14-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One drink?

I have been reading through the posts and am surprised by all the people that say they just wanted "one drink". I have never wanted one drink. One more binge, one more bottle, one more 12 pack but never one drink.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Yep, me too. I never understood those who could be satisfied with "just one" or "just a few". For me, it was the more, the better.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree. I never saw the point of one if there wasn't 10 more to follow. I wish I only wanted one.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I think for me it wasn't so much that I WANTED only one .... I just knew that would be better and I wouldn't get so drunk. What I really wanted was the ability to CONTROL the number of drinks I had.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I never understood the point of "just having one or two" either. I've heard a couple people say they don't like the feeling of being tipsy. Maybe to them it feels like they're not in total control (?)...... or maybe they don't feel a need to escape from themselves. I don't know - it's a mystery to me!

I know I'd never be satisfied with a drink or two.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

After just 1 or 2 my wife would simply stop because she felt like she was losing control. I would have 1 or 2 and start to feel like I was regaining control. 5 or 6 and I would be just beginning to feel alive again, whereas some of my friends - wife included - 5 or 6 and they would feel like they were on the way to dying.

No doubt about it, for me just one drink is not only useless, it's masochistic. If someone only fed me 1 drink with no more available I'd be in agony until I found enough to knock me out.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have never seen the point in one drink.... I drank to get drunk, no other reason & one was never enough ;-) (though I have tried to fool myself b telling myself all sorts of lies about how wine goes with dinner, or you should have a beer on a hot sunny day etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. lol)

It would be like having one second of sex (with no orgasm) or one lick of pizza (with no bite)... what would be the point??? No Thanks! lol
Old 10-14-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Same here. One drink? Absurd. It was all or nothing for me. I never had one drink in my life, and never plan to.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hmm one drink is too many and a thousand not enough......

There again I have fooled myself into I can have one....I may even stop that time at one but soon thereafter its "Well that went okay ..." and right back to where it was or worse....insanity
Old 10-14-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been thinking about this a lot because this topic comes up a lot. There's one of those sobriety bon mots that goes something like "If i could drink like a moderate drinker I'd drink all the time! Therein lies the paradox". Without explicitly saying this, this is pretty much what I used to have in mind when I was active and wishing I could be a moderate drinker. Like, oh yeah, I could drink all the time but I wouldn't have all those feelings of shame and regret that come when you drink all the time.

I was completely fooling myself because I actually wanted no part in actual moderation, my thinking was just too twisted to get that at the time.

For some reason I think that makes it easier for me to accept I can't have any, and I think that makes the process a lot easier.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The Winner Takes It All!!!!!

we are not born to want a beer. For me the want i just a load of chemical reactions sent to the brain which make us feel the want. reprogram the brain to interpret those messages as bad, and you begin the defense mechanism. welcome
Old 10-14-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Every time I allowed the "stinkin thinkin" to "fester" to the point of actually drinking.........the thought of "one" drink never entered my mind. The thought of getting enough alcohol into my house to keep me drunk on my a..
for four days is what I DID !!!!! I have been binge drinking for years and have known from the very beginning (without having to be told) that "one" drink was not even in my vocabulary. I always hear people talk about trying to control their drinking by limiting the amount, I always knew beforehand that I was "doomed" after the first drink.

I think this is day 76 for me.........quit counting days quite awhile ago. But I definitely love the way I feel.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I cant say as I have ever wanted just one drink. I am with most. Why bother?
Old 10-14-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It can be a blessing that we don't fall into the 'just one' camp. We're not fooling ourselves about our intent that way.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
orangutan

All or northing for me.One is just a tease.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've never wanted just one drink either. Not even my very first drink, which was a bottle of cheap champagne. Strangely, knowing that I lack a shut off valve has helped keep me from picking up...so far, hopefully that continues forever!
Old 10-15-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think it's more people here wish they could have one. I've been out with plenty of people that can cut themselves off after one. I wish i was like that, this obviously wouldn't be the struggle it has been.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

A few years ago I went to Portland with my best friend for Halloween and we ended up not being able to find a ride back so we wandered the streets all night going into all night diners and exploring neighborhoods.

Finally to my relief he said "let's go get a drink at a bar or something". I had forgotten my debit card so he was treating and he ordered one single tiny glass of whiskey and we split it and afterward he was like "ahhh that hit the spot!" and I was like "!!!???". That's just how it is for him, he could take it or leave it.

In retrospect it was one of the funnest nights of my life.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The most telling thing for me is the TIME I want that "one" drink. Sometimes it's 12 at night but sometimes it's seven, eight in the morning with a full day ahead. Do I ever stop at eight am after one drink? Of course not, I drink till I am very very drunk. Last time I did it I lost my wallet.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

My mind tries to trick me into thinking "just one. One won't hurt"

Truth is this is insanity for me. I've Never had "just one!l