Notices

Sponser?

Old 10-12-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sponser?

I hate to keep bothering you guys because i know you have enough to deal with. I'm sure you are tired of hearing it but of course, like everyone else, I am struggling.
I wanted to know if Sober Recovery has Sponsers? Please don't tell me to go to AA because I have about 6 times during the past 6 years and never had any good experience so I never had a chance to get a Sponser. Does SR have Sponsers that I could depend on. That is my problem. I have been sober once for about 6 months but had no sponser and then gave in.
I apologize for being annoying. There are alot of people with more difficult problems.

Theresa
Old 10-12-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

In aa, the sponsor helps you through the steps, as you know. We humble ourselves by asking for help, which goes against our independent tendancies.

Until you are willing to humbly ask and follow through, which takes more than 6 meetings, I believe your success or not will be up to you. I attend at least 4, usually more, meetings consistently. AA is successful when we work it. AA does not fail, we give up.

AA online has some people willing to sponsor, again, consistently showing up helps!
Best wishes!
Old 10-12-2011, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I go to 6 meetings a week. Sometimes more. How many different groups did you try?
Old 10-13-2011, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

gr8t2bme,

There might be a woman willing to help you with the Steps, but you would have better luck asking this in the 12 Step Alcoholism section. I don't know if either formal programs have anything like the concept of 'sponsor'.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by gr8t2bme View Post
Please don't tell me to go to AA because I have about 6 times during the past 6 years and never had any good experience so I never had a chance to get a Sponser. Does SR have Sponsers that I could depend on. That is my problem.
Theresa,

While I don't know you, I do know that is not your problem, because no one can keep you sober. More than one has tried that game, of having a babysitter to tell them not to drink, and it usually does not work out. Dr. Bob even wrote about it.

Originally Posted by Dr. Bob Smith, September 1948, AA Grapevine

We've all seen the new member who stays sober for a time, largely through sponsor-worship. Then maybe the sponsor gets drunk, and you know what usually happens. Left without a human prop, the new member gets drunk, too. He has been glorifying an individual, instead of following the program.
If you don't want to go to AA, however, then don't go. The choice is not between drinking and AA, the choice is between drinking and not drinking. If you feel you need some sort of "program" though, there are others out there. The Secular Connections forum here on SR is a good place to inquire about them.